Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Whirlpool LA7680XMN0 Fills, Agitates, Drains but won't Spin  (Read 323 times)

Offline MNForestRider

• VIP Member
Whirlpool LA7680XMN0 Fills, Agitates, Drains but won't Spin
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:47:44 AM »

So my 1973 Vintage Whirlpool LA7680XMN0 has served me well for many years. I've recently replaced the drive belt and water pump ($43.00 self-repair) So after reading other postings on your site I've been wondering what others would suggest. First, I can't get the basket to spin with a hand assist. I've found no busted parts on the floor below the unit, no shards or shavings either.

Could the lid switch be the problem here? I've noted the machine will agitate with the lid open but would never spin with the lid open when it was working properly. (I have a multi-tester so that should be easy to check. Normally open I'm guessing)

Could this be a timer issue? I've noted that my timer knob would occasionally get stuck just before the spin cycle and a light bump to the machine would let it advance to spin.

I haven't tipped the unit to look at the motor coupling so that's on the list as well.

What other items should I consider?  I was really hoping to get a full 50 years out of this machine, otherwise I would feel cheated  :D

Thanks in advance

Online scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Whirlpool LA7680XMN0 Fills, Agitates, Drains but won't Spin
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »
The most common causes for a no spin on those old belt drive machines is 1-failed lid switch, 2-broken wires to the spin solenoid on the wig-wag, and 3-open spin coil on the wig-wag. The lid switch should measure approx 0 ohms with the lid closed. Visually inspect the wires to the wig-wag for breaks. Measure the resistance of the spin coil on the wig-wag. it should be 500 to 600 ohms.
Lid switch part # is 660308 and the wig-wag part # is 359997. Both are no longer available from Whirlpool, however, you may be able to find them on Ebay or as a non-OEM part.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:03:45 AM by scrapiron »

Offline MNForestRider

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
Thanks for the pointers scrapiron, that gives me some good information to start on. I guess I'm hopeful that my lid switch is the cause since it would be the quickest fix.

I'm curious: What would be the effect of a loose screw on that wig-wag?

Online scrapiron

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »
Not sure. that screw is usually crazy tight. Never seen one fall out. But, most likely no agitate OR spin.

Offline MNForestRider

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
Okay, thanks. I'm gonna dig into my little problem child when I get home tonight. Hoping I can fix this on my own. They don't make em' like they used to...  :thanks:

Offline MNForestRider

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »
I couldn't stand thinking about it last night so just before bedtime I went downstairs and pulled the connections from the lid switch, connected leads to my multi-tester (it's nice to have alligator connectors) and played with the switch. It's working just like it should, hard contact when depressed, no intermittent connection at all. So that leaves the switch off my list of problems. (Personally I was really hoping that would be the issue, an easy fix) 

So now I've tipped the washer over and let the last of the water drain out. I'm going to test the wig-wag as you suggested. I'll report back later.

Offline MNForestRider

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »
Well I have to admit that after determining the problem wasn't the Lid Switch (the easy fix) I wasn't looking forward to digging much further. But with your instructions, diagrams & specs for the readings I dug further decided to check the spin coil as you suggested. I got a reading of 512 ohms. Thinking that wasn't outside the range that you gave me, I put the connections back on and checked the wires for wear finding nothing. After that I stood the machine back up, reconnected it just to give it a try.

The damn thing is correctly working now.... (while I'm surprised and happy, I'm also scratching my head)

Last year the water pump locked up the belt burnt up on the first load on a Saturday morning. For me, the belt change was complex to get everything apart and thread a new belt into place correctly. I'm just wondering if all my screwing around in that area had something to do with today's problem. Loose connection maybe? I don't know... But as I'm writing this message I can hear it spinning the load and spraying rinse water in the process. (music to my ears)

Scrapiron.... Thank you very much! I really appreciate what you do here and the folks that provide this site. Bravo to all of you.

Offline MNForestRider

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »
My washer worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks and then started showing the same symptoms as before. So I took the part number that Scrapiron suggested and did some searching for a replacement. After doing some online searches I was unable to find that exact part number. A few of my searches ended up with 89814 and 89867. A vendor on eBay and one of Amazon assured me that 89814 would be the exact replacement for mine so I ordered it.

It arrived and I once again tipped my washer over and went to work on it. The replacement went surprisingly quick with just a 3/8" socket wrench and long flat screwdriver to pry the old part off the shaft. She's singing the right tune again and functioning properly.

My friends all think I'm the cheapest person in the North for not just replacing my Washer/Dryer. Truthfully I considered that notion but everything I look at seems like it wouldn't last 4.3 years let alone 43 years. As long as I can find parts and good people to help me repair that thing, I'm happy.

Thanks again!

Online scrapiron

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
Glad I could help :)

Whirlpool washer agitates and drains, won't spin.

Started by RedneckDad

Replies: 10
Views: 26456
Last post February 04, 2012, 03:57:29 PM
by kingmz
Whirlpool WTW5500 washer agitates, drains but not spin.

Started by superton

Replies: 1
Views: 840
Last post November 12, 2015, 09:58:24 PM
by curjones
Whirlpool direct drive agitates but no spin

Started by philhyde

Replies: 19
Views: 15251
Last post October 04, 2007, 12:32:52 PM
by philhyde
Whirlpool Washer Agitates, but no Spin

Started by Chevy96d

Replies: 3
Views: 7159
Last post November 02, 2008, 01:12:22 PM
by Repair-man
Kenmore Agitates, Drains but not spin

Started by Kika

Replies: 1
Views: 2794
Last post November 13, 2008, 08:20:48 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 8787
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone