Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: GE JGB645DEK1 very limited burner flame adjustment  (Read 158 times)

Offline BigBear

• VIP Member
GE JGB645DEK1 very limited burner flame adjustment
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:17:09 AM »

This unit was converted to LP by the GE dealer but I have very little flame adjustment on all of the burners. (approx 1/4 of the knob rotation at best) If the gas valve was not switched from natural gas to LP would this cause this problem? I have confirmed that the orifices are correct in all of the burners. I have not checked the oven orifice yet but that flame seems nice and blue so suspect it has been changed. I will call the dealer but would like some idea on what could potentially be the problem. 

NOTE: I do not know what pressure the gas regulator is feeding the supply line but my gas furnace works just fine running from the same supply line.

TIA

Roy

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE JGB645DEK1 very limited burner flame adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
This should be the instructions for conversion. Read the part on adjusting Low Flame settings.

Offline BigBear

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Dab,
Thanks for those instructions. I followed the procedure and all of the burners barely stay lit at the low setting. With three of the burners on and set between position 5 & 6 (approx 1/2) I still only get flame adjustment from number 3 and lower on all of the burners. Almost like the burner control adjustment has no metering.

Roy

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »
You may also want to make sure that the range's pressure regulator was converted properly to LP.
It's covered in the instructions Dab posted.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:55:21 AM by scrapiron »

Offline BigBear

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:41 AM »
Scrap,
Your concerns are the same as mine and I will look at this later when I get home from work. Since I purchased this new from the GE dealer I believe this will be their problem to solve but I like to have some idea of potential problems.

appreciate everyones help and will post what the resolution of this problem is.

Offline BigBear

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 11:24:29 AM »
Follow up report:
Service man was here and we confirmed the gar regulator was not converted from natural to LP. Did the conversion and now get a larger flame but still minimal to no flame adjustment above 3-4 on the dial 90% of the adjustment is between 2 & 3. Double checked the flame adjustment procedure with no change.

Service man said this is how the new ranges work. Is that a true statement?

If yes I will send this unit back and put the old electric range back in its place.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »
It varies with models and brands, but it's not uncommon to see what you are talking about. The bottom line is that you are now getting a proper size maximum flame and you are able to adjust the flame from full size to simmer. So maybe just call it a win and enjoy the benefits of cooking on a gas cooktop.

Offline BigBear

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Scrapiron,
I find the lack of adjustment range to be totally unacceptable for this type of an appliance. I have a Charbroil gar grill that cost 1/3 as much that adjusts over 80% of the dial range. You can set the flame by the dial/knob without even looking at flame. This GE range you go from simmer to burnt in twitch so you couldn't even consider trying to cook without bending down to see the flame and even then it it hard to go from low to medium.

Also lived in the same home with natural gas from 87 - 09 had two or three gas ranges in that time period. On all of them you could set the flame by the dial Vs having to look at the flame.  99% sure one was a hot point purchased from this same dealer. Moved to different home in 09 that only had electric so have used electric up till we ran this gas line since both my wife and remember gas being easier to change burner temp. Boy have things changed in that regard.

Model #MGR5775QDS1 MAYTAG - Burner adjustment???

Started by AlphaApp

Replies: 2
Views: 395
Last post November 15, 2016, 04:56:07 PM
by AlphaApp
Flame doesn't chase back down burner tube

Started by VeggiePoweredHandyman

Replies: 2
Views: 307
Last post June 07, 2017, 04:24:04 PM
by VeggiePoweredHandyman
Whirlpool Range - Top Burner Not Working

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7139
Last post December 28, 2007, 12:21:08 AM
by AJ
Need help with opening range top for gas stove to replace burner valve.

Started by bobafett13

Replies: 3
Views: 6387
Last post January 24, 2008, 10:57:06 AM
by JWWebster
Kitchenaid Range LR Burner Inoperative

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3622
Last post April 17, 2008, 07:39:22 AM
by TechnicianBrian
GE Gas Range Simmer Adjustment