Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Just Bought Speed Queen Washer. Your Thoughts: Prev Maintenance and Tools  (Read 848 times)

Offline giants1

• VIP Member

Hi,

I have a 2012 Samsung front loading washer that's leaking from the left rear.  This is consistent with the water drain pump and/or hoses going out.  Sadly, the extended warranty just expired and I've been gentle with it.

If you've seen my other thread (I'm a newbie to this forum and to fixing washers and dryers), you're aware that I'm having a frustrating, intermittent problem with my 2002 Kenmore 80 Series (aka Whirlpool 29") gas dryer.  Forum members have been educating me about dryers and I've been doing reading to learn how they work and how to fix them.

Two days ago, I bought a Speed Queen.  Delivery should be by the end of next week.

It's a top-loader with mechanical dials.  Here's the model number:

AWN432SP113TW04

and a link to specs:

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx?mn=AWN432SP113TW04#build-your-own

I'm willing to do preventive maintenance (eg clean lint screen and ducts), but I don't want the drama of an intermittent problem like I'm having with my Kenmore dryer..

I run about one load per week with some clothes very dirty due to working on my car and the house.

I live in an area prone to rust (eg hand tools rust quickly), but it's not cost-effective to run a dehumidifier.  My current washer and dryer has some surface rust, probably due to dings/scratches (although my Samsung had a circular rust spot on top, so I must have set something obnoxious on there).

I'm the type of person who wants my appliances to last a long time, and I've been through a Maytag Neptune and a 4 year-old leaking Samsung front loader (not covered by the recall/class action lawsuit).

What are common problems with this model?

The leaking tub seal replacement repair is scary!  Anything I can do to reduce the chance of having to do that one?

What preventive maintenance do you recommend that I do under warranty that won't void the warranty?

Any suggestions about rust prevention?

After the 3 year warranty expires, what sort of additional preventive maintenance should I do?

Are there parts that I should have on hand and/or replace on a preventive basis, like some people do on their cars?

I'm comfortable working on my Kenmore 80 Series (Whirlpool 29").  I suppose Youtube has videos on repairing Speed Queen dryers. Any ones in particular that I should study?

I bought it on my Visa, so I get an extra year extended warranty.   They told me that if I have a problem during the extended warranty period, I can get any professional appliance repair person (eg independent shop), to provide a written diagnosis.  Submit the diagnosis, warranty card, and receipt to them.  Actually, I can submit the latter two on-line to make things easier.  They'll reimburse me cash and I can either repair it myself, have a tech repair it, or buy a new unit.

I've never deal with a credit card extended warranty.  Any suggestions for dealing with extended warranty service?

I'm thinking that I should buy these tools:

#725P3 Washer kit tool top load and

#294P4 Washer puller agitator drive bell

Any suggestions as to where I can get them cheaply?

How hard is it to get the agitator hex nut off?

Should I loosen it right after the warranty expires, then put anti-seize on the threads?  Ditto with anti-seize on any other components?

Are there any other special tools I should have?

FYI, I posted a similar query in the dryer section for a Speed Queen gas dryer I'm planning on getting.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:48:48 PM by giants1 »

Offline Thorning

• Technician
Re: Just Bought Speed Queen Washer. Your Thoughts: Prev Maintenance and Tools
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
See my reply on the dryers. Unless you abuse it and have extremely dirty and lime laden water the washer should last a long time and I would not buy or stock any spare parts.

Offline Possum

• Technician
  • Tech since 1975
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »
I agree with Thorning I wouldnt buy anything , I have several of that model for 2 years now at the facility I work at and they are used and abused 24/7 no problems yet , thats why I started buying Speed Queen when Whirlpool quit making the direct drive model . Usually the first thing that goes is the belt or pump but thats way down the road for residential . You made a good choice thats the best top load washer available today , it may use a little more water than some washers  but you need water to get clean clothes

Offline giants1

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »
Thanks.

I'm going to use laundry mesh bags for all small items, eg socks and bras, to protect the water pump and its hoses.

Is there anything else I can do to protect the belt and pump?

Also, I saw some youtube videos about tub seal leaks and how much work is involved.  Is there anything I can do to prevent that or reduce the chances of a tub seal leak?

Finally, I looked at the hoses; they look like auto radiator hoses.  Should I stick to OEM Speed Queen, or can I get away with another brand, eg auto, that has the same fit?

thanks!