The other day I went to heat up food in my Kenmore microwave and after about 15-20 seconds there was smoke rolling out of it. So I unplugged it and took the cover over to see what was wrong. I ran it with the cover off and noticed that the transformer was getting very hot and that's what was smoking, so I found another one that would fit and installed it. Now the microwave turns on and doesn't smoke, but it also doesn't make things hot. I put a cup of water in there for a minute and it was still ice cold.
I've searched online and found Microtech Factory Service Microtech Factory Service. Expert microwave oven repair for the Florida-Alabama Gulf Coast and they had diagnostic procedures to test the various components inside a microwave. I'll post the results of those tests below:
Between Primary Windings - 0.2 ohms (Old and New)
Between Primary Leads And Ground - Open
Between Filiment Wires - 0.2 ohms (Old and New)
Between Filiment Leads And Ground - Open (Old and New)
Between Voltage Tap and ground - Old One - 848 ohms (spec says 55-70 Ohms) New One - 102 Ohms I don't know if this is too far out of spec or not
Between Both Terminals - 0.2 Ohms
Between Terminals And Ground - Open
Between both terminals - Slowly climbs to OL, when switched goes back to zero and starts climbing back to OL
Between terminals and ground - Open
0.2M Ohms one way
OL other way
Thermal Protectors (2)
Both 0.2 ohms across terminals
It just doesn't make any sense why it doesn't work now. It worked on Saturday, then yesterday I used it and that's when the transformer overheated. And I didn't touch anything else inside, just wired up the new transformer just as the old one was. Same specs on both of them (120v, 60 Hz). Unless this new transformer is also defective (as I said, the 102 Ohms on the high side is above the spec I found).
If anyone can help me or they need me to conduct more tests I'm more than happy to help. Thanks!!!
Kenmore Model # 566.8832980
Manufactured September 1987