Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG WM3370HWA Front Load Washer - Loud Thumping, unbalanced drum during spin  (Read 2520 times)

Offline pupham

• VIP Member

Hey All,

I've been looking around online for a few days now, and I still am unable to pinpoint what exactly our issue is, so I'm reaching out here before I bring in a technician.

Our 2 year old LG front load washer (LG WM3370HWA) has been making a distinctive banging/thumping sound during the spin cycle. It seems to be because the drum will be out of balance, and it will start shaking itself around rather aggressively. It doesnt happen with every load, and it does not do it when the washer is run without a load. I removed the top panel to have a look, and the inner drum seems to be leaning back slightly, and the rubber gasket seems to be a little misshapen like the drum is not in its normal position. Both support springs look fine, and the shock absorbers underneath seem to look alright as well. Are there additional supports that I'm not seeing that could cause this? Is it just a worn out shock absorber?

We just ran a cycle, and the shaking was so bad that the inner metal drum started to scratch the inside of the glass door.

Anyone have any insight to this issue?

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
 If the tub support is not broken, it may be a bad rear shock. Maybe the rear shock is broken or disconnected.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 03:27:13 PM by scrapiron »

Offline pupham

• VIP Member
Thank you Scrapiron! I'm going to replace that shock and see if that does it, if not I guess I'll be using a lifeline.

Thanks!

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Pupham open the door and try and lift up on the Stainless Steel Tub - does it give/wobble/move significantly? Do you see wear marks on the rubber door boot? Or look inside the bottom filter when removed do you see any shavings inside the filter when you pull it out. IF YES to any of these questions you more than likely have a broken/cracked Tub Support Bracket (Spider Bracket) see picture attached. Let us know what you find.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
It will look like this

Offline pupham

• VIP Member
Well, I figured it out. After taking off the front panel it was obvious (See pictures). The bottom counter weight on the front of the drum had completely fallen off. Nothing looked broken, and I couldn't find any missing hardware (washers would be what was missing), but there was nothing. It just looks like a bad design, not having anything firmly securing that bottom weight onto the drum (the top weight had washers). I went out and purchased some appropriate washers, and reinstalled the weight, securing it with the washers and bolts. The washer is now back to working like a charm. Really happy I held off on calling it in!

Hope this can help someone who runs into a similar issue!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Interesting, thanks for the update!

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
Just wondering how the heck the 4 bolts would come off that counterweight they are pretty heavy duty. If they came off that easy you might want to apply some loctite to the NEW BOLTS if you haven't done so. Thank you for responding back and letting us know.

Offline pupham

• VIP Member
That's the thing, those bolts were still completely in place, hadn't moved. It looked like the counter weight was just sitting there. That's why it makes me wonder if washers were supposed to be there.

Offline southlake

• VIP Member
Joined this forum just so i could respond to this thread and say thanks... LG WM3170CW front loader that is just a little over 2 years old... was banging so hard during spin cycle that the drum was hitting the glass and twisting the door seal. It sounded like a machine gun. Especially bad during intital spin up. Some cycles were fine, others were awful. 

Took the machine apart hoping something obvious would jump out at me, and sure enough, removal of the front panel revealed the front bottom counter weight completely disengaged from the drum sitting on the floor. It is not held in with washers but with self tapping lag bolts that have a tapered head. As you drive them in, they spread apart the wings of the male pegs the weight rests on and friction hold the weight. Awful design.

For now, I removed the bolts, re-attached the weight, installed the 10mm bolts and made sure they were very tight. If the thing falls off again I will install with a regular bolt and washer.

I believe I contributed to this failure by frequently using high speed spin while the machine only had a single bulky item in it (not using another article to balance it out).

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:12:44 PM by southlake »

Offline stuckupnorth

• VIP Member
Thanks good info to all of the above! Same thing here on this machine, it has worked great for the last few years and then the bottom counter weight fell off. Really curious why the top weight has a set of washers on the bolts and not the bottom??? Just paid yesterday to have it repaired, the machine sounded fine. Today the washer was thumping and jumping again! About to take it apart and set some washers on the bolts. Crap design, or laziness/cheapness at the factory.

Offline p3096774

• VIP Member
I joined just for this thread also.
Have a slightly more than 2 year old 3370HWA washer, and I think suspect have the same problem. During a load the other day heard a really loud thud and then the tub was unbalanced. It was odd because everything seemed to be working fine. Did two more loads but it could never really get up to spin cycle speed. I'm sure the issue is the broken counterweight.

My question ... Our W/D are in stacked configuration, and in a tight space. It is  :tickedoff: that you have to take off the rear and top panel screws in order to access the front panel, at least according to what I've researched on YouTube. Does anyone know if I can pop the front panel while the dryer is still on top of the washer? Can I slide the top panel back with the dryer still on top? I hope so, otherwise this DIY job is going to turn into a ridiculous labor service call.

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Sorry, but the dryer has to come off.  :(

Offline p3096774

• VIP Member
 :( :( :( :'(
.....ok.... thank you so much, saves me from breaking something -- the appliances and/or myself!
Crap, this is going to be really annoying. (searching: "weight of LG DELX3370" ...)

Offline p3096774

• VIP Member
Re: LG WM3370HWA Front Load Washer - Loud Thumping, unbalanced drum during spin
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 07:52:59 PM »
So just an update for the board ... you actually only need to pop the top lid back by about 2 inches to get a low profile ratchet screwdriver to get access to that single, lonely, only screw behind the control panel. I did this with the dryer still stacked and slid it back only 2 inches and was able to get to the screw. That was a relief!

The thing I had a hard time with was getting the boot retaining spring back on ... no one seems to sell those wide range spring clip tools ... I'll have to make one. It's a simple looking tool, but you need jaw spread of 4 inches or so in between the eyelets of the coil spring that adds tension to the wire hoop that keeps the boot in place.

Anyway, much like this forum predicted, my counterbalance weight also fell off. Unfortunately, one of the male posts had shorn off! The far left one. The posts are split into four slices so to say, so for that post, you can't even put the screw back because of the sheared off male mount. This design ... I dunno, maybe there is a high-cycle reason it was designed like that, but it escapes me. I used some epoxy and bolted the other three back in with washers.

While I did add the washers, they don't really do much good. I suppose they'll do a little bit of improvement and prevent the weight from walking off the mounts again, but as was evidenced by my counterbalance, when part of the expanding tabs break off, the whole bolt-washer-tab would go with it. Now I think the forces will be transferred to the mounts if the weight can't move and eventually those mounts will fracture, just like the other one did.

Also, that part is like an entire washer drum surround ... looks like a major PITA to replace. Such horrible design here. I think it might be worth a class action for everyone suffering these design defects. Perhaps it is a loading design, a cyclic design, but I could also see that there is a lot of expansion/shrinkage from temperature changes and perhaps that polymer they selected doesn't do well and that leads to failure. Whatever, this is a horrible design, but it's pretty easy to tear into and get access if you follow the YouTube directions. 

Good luck everyone.

Offline DIY_or_DIE

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:48 PM »
Joined just to say THANK YOU for posting this!!! I somehow came across it and found it was exactly what was wrong with my machine!!! Saved me money and time!!! Thank you so much for posting!!!
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 04:43:13 AM »
I have  just read the info about the counrerweight coming off and it must be a crappy design. If it was me I would try to put it back in place using thru bolts with Loctite but it may not be possible. All of the front load machines  such as Maytag or Whirlpool I have worked on have never had that problem.

Offline Obladee80

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you! After doing a heavy load of laundry with extreme “clunking” on the spin cycles, my rubber seal was slightly smashed against the front, I knew something was off.  I started researching and found this thread and another site where one of the two springs holding the tub housing in place had either come off or sheared off. I figured it had to be one of these two things.

I got the hubby to open things up and we saw the springs were fine, right from the top.  He then pointed a flashlight to the bottom and could see the bottom counterweight was on the floor. 

We were amazed, as everyone else was, that the thing didn't seem to be fastened at all. The top weight had washers, why didn't the bottom??? Granted, it seemed like the split housing that the bolts screw into looked like the bolts needed to be tightened to spread the housing out to hold the weight in place with pressure, but we all have occasional heavy, unbalanced loads, and I didn't see this holding. My husband figured that they WANT the darn thing to fall off for an easy house call.

Long story short, he put washers on to hold it into place. We are just having a bit of an issue getting that spring thing that fastens the rubber gasket to the front of the machine back in, as we don't have the proper tool. Sooner or later we will get it and be back in business. Thanks everyone!