Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Neptune model MAH4000AWW stopped spinning  (Read 1206 times)

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune model MAH4000AWW stopped spinning
« on: June 10, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »

I have posted on this forum before about this washer and have appreciated everyone's help.  In Feb 2016 the washer stopped spinning.  It would still agitate.  I was given the advice on this forum that the motor was gone. Since I knew I had to replace the motor I took the opportunity to do a complete rebuild with new hoses where needed and change out the bearings in it which I did.  I went with Timken bearings.  The original motor was no longer available apart from buying used on Ebay and I bought 2 of them and neither worked and the seller's gave me my money back in both cases.  I went and purchased a new motor which also included a conversion kit repair part number 12002039.  Everything has worked very well since then, however a week ago it stopped spinning again.  It agitates with no problem.  The wax motor locks the door correctly.  It runs through it's cycles as it is supposed to.  The pump works fine.  Is the motor gone again?  If so it has lasted only a little over a year.  Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robpm

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Maytag Neptune model MAH4000AWW stopped spinning
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »
It might be the out of balance circuit. There are two blue wires that leave the control board. They connect to three sensors on the tub. You should have a closed circuit going to the sensors and coming back to the board. Easy check with a tester

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 09:09:09 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I remember the wires.  I will check them.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »
I have finally been able to attack the washing machine.  I have checked with the multimeter the out of balance circuit which includes the front weight displacement switch, the inertial unbalance switch and the tub displacement switch.  It works as I believe it should.  I have continuity until I engage any of the switches and then I lose continuity. 

i went through the "General operations diagnostic" and followed the troubleshooting guide for "Washer will not spin".  It walks me through the following process:
1. "set the timer knob into a spin increment and start the washer.  Check to make sure the Door Locked Light comes on, after a 30-60 second delay." It does come on and the wax motor switch engages to lock the door properly so I know I have 110V there.

2. " If the door lock wax motor does extend, check for continuity across the door lock, spin enable switch when the switch actuator button is pressed in.  If there is no continuity across the Door Lock, Spin Enable Switch, check the wiring between the switch and the machine control terminal P3-7. If there is continuity in this wire, replace the Machine Control."

What I did was to replace the Machine Control board since I have a spare that I know works and I still had the same problem.  What it turned out to be was the Door Lock, Spin Enable Switch had gone bad.  I removed the to wires from the two spade terminals and placed a copper wire across the two spade connectors as the wax motor pushed and engaged the Soor Lock, Spin Enable Switch and then the washer, once it got to the spin cycle started spinning.  I was very thankful to the answered prayer to get this thing fixed.  I was also thankful to have the General Operations Diagnostic document to walk me through to find out what the problem could be.  I hope that this will help someone else who may have this same problem.  We purchased this washer and dryer set in 1999.  That means they are both almost 19 years old!  I have replaced the motor on the dryer along with the wheels/bearings for the drum and I have replaced the motor with the motor control board along with the bearings on this washer which I did a little over a year ago.  So this set does not really owe me a whole lot of money.  I have no idea the hundreds of loads of laundry that have been put through these machines.  I am happy that I have been able to fix one more problem.