Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Won't Spray  (Read 2500 times)

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Won't Spray
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »

I have a Whirlpool, WDT710PAYM6, that won't spray.

I bypassed the door latch so I could run it through a 1-hour wash cycle to see exactly what happens. I also removed the fine and course filter, and spray arms. The washer filled up, just to the point that it got to the water level float thing. The water seemed to be coming in at a pretty good rate and it was hot. It sat there for several minutes, no motor humming or any other sounds, just some intermittent, very quite clicking coming from the door control. Then it drained completely. It repeated this process a few times, fill, nothing, drain. On the 3rd or 4th time, it filled up the basin and started spraying up from tube in the bottom. It sprayed for 3-5 minutes, and then drained. It then went back to it's old pattern, fill, nothing, drain.

Originally, I was thinking it was going to be a problem with the impeller or motor or something. But since it sprayed water out once, that makes me think it's not the motor. So now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the control board, or some fuse or some other sensor. Not sure what to look for or what other things I can do to test.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Won't Spray
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
I have an idea that the spray on the 3rd or 4th fill was random, rather than connected to that particular fill.  You could try the same thing several times and I wouldn't be surprised if you have different results.  Change the main wash motor and I think you'll have it fixed!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 03:47:49 PM »
Thanks johnboy3. I didn't think about running the test again. I did, and I also removed the bottom kick plate and backing to see if I could hear anything from below. There were some times I could hear some faint humming on and off when it should have been spraying.

Here are the results of 2 more 1-hour wash cycle tests:
1. fill, hum, drain
2. fill, hum, drain
3. fill, silence, drain
4. fill, silence, drain
5. fill, silence, drain

Test 2
fill, hum, drain
fill, spray, drain
fill, silence, drain
fill, silence, drain
fill, silence, drain

I think I'll order a new wash motor and hopefully that resolves the problem.

Thanks johnboy3 and dab147315!

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:58:55 PM »
Replaced the sump and motor assembly. No change! So there goes $150 for nothing. What's next? The control board? Is there a way to test the board to see if it's good? Can I check the voltage on some lines to see if it's sending the right signal to the motor?

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »
Have you replaced the fill valve?  These can have intermittent failures, sticking closed sometimes, opening late, or working normally other times.  I'd try that next.

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:17:12 AM »
I ruled out the fill valve because it has always filled the basin properly. Is there some other way the fill valve could be involved?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 03:25:02 PM »
Have you check for codes.Here is a long service training video and the tech sheet below that may help you.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoaBc7Zvi58&list=PLMRN1M_nOVCubgFbTkZSmeQxeCazsac-G&index=12

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
Dang, I wish I knew about the diagnostic mode before I bought a new motor. I'll try running that tonight and see what results I get. Thanks for the info dab147315!

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
For most of the newer wpl d/w's you need to check to see if the control board is sending power to the motor. to do this you put the unit into a cycle or service mode and test for voltage at the board. if the board is sending 120 vac to the motor and the motor is not running then the motor is bad. if, however the board is not sending 120vac to the motor during time in the cycle when it is supposed to send voltage then the board is bad. if 12o is present you also need to check your wire connections and make sure a rodent has not chewed through the wires.

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
Okay, I ran a service cycle a few times. I got the codes from the beginning of the cycle:
6-2: Inlet Water, low/no water
7-1: Heating, no heat
6-6: Inlet Water, cool water
5-1: Door switch, door stuck open

At the end, there we no codes.

I ran through it again another few times, (same codes at the beginning, no codes at the end), just to get used to the cycle and check my understanding of the cycles and documentation.

On the 4th or 5th time, I cleared the codes. I have a feeling several (if not all) of those were from me messing around, trying to troubleshoot the problem.

After clearing the codes, I ran the full diagnostic cycle again 3 times and never got any error codes thrown.

It still seems to be filling and draining just fine, it just won't wash. I checked the voltage across P5-1 and P5-2 and read 116 VAC. The motor and sump I just replaced with brand new parts, so I wouldn't imagine that would be bad. I also checked the resistance across F8 and F9, both measured 1.5 ohm, so that seems like those fuses are not blown, right?

When I'm running all these tests, I have the wash arms all removed. There is no way it would know that though, right? It should still spray a bunch of water out the tube at the bottom of the basin.

I guess the next thing I need to check is to see if the wired going into the motor still have 120VAC to make sure there is nothing in the lines that are causing a loss of power. I'll also run it through a 1-hour wash cycle and then a diagnostic run to see if there are any new codes after that 1-hour wash.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 11:08:31 PM »
When you measured 116VAC at P5-1 and P5-2 did the wash motor run? If not then the problem is with the connectors, wiring or the brand new motor you installed. Double check your voltage at P5-1 and P5-2.

I would get rid of the door switch bypass if you have not already. Also, I would replace the spray arms and everything else as there is no need to have that out to test. You could end up with some debris getting down into your new motor and chunking up the impeller, etc.

Then run a diagnostic cycle. Shortly after it fills it should energize the wash motor. When I test them I stick my leads up in the back side of the connector if possible because it can sometimes be difficult to get them in the test hole enough to be sure you have a good contact. You may have to remove the little grey plastic cover on the wire harness.

If you get around 120 VAC then you need to check all your wires and connections. Since you just replaced the motor I would not suspect that but it is possible. Be sure to inspect your wires with a good flashlight. I had one of my techs miss a tiny rodent bite that had not severed the wire...just ate into it enough to keep the motor from operating. I would not recommend trying to test voltage at the motor as the connector doesn't provide a good way to get your leads in there without risking grounding one of them out.

The official way to diagnose when a motor is not running is how I have described...test for voltage at the board when it is supposed to be running. If voltage is present and the motor is not running then you have a problem with the connections, the wires or the motor.  If no VAC present, test the door switch per 5-1 error code. If that all checks good, replace the board. I would not suspect a bad door switch as it would not fill if it did not sense the door closed.

If you buy your parts from appliancepartspros then you can return them if that does not solve the problem.

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
I double checked the voltage output from the board when the wash motor should be running, it is house voltage, 116VAC. Checked by measuring the metal pins that to up the back of the wiring harness connector. Seemed like and easy place to get a reading.

I'll check through the wiring, maybe there is something I missed, or maybe I did something really stupid and didn't plug in the motor when I replaced it.

I don't know what you mean when you say I should "get rid of the door switch bypass". I have the door switch wires removed from the door and to signal that it is closed, I just short the two wires in the connector by sticking a butter knife in it. Seems to do the trick just fine, allowing me to signal door open or closed very easily.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline NardoPolo

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Fixed it!

I took it apart and pulled the cable going to the wash motor and then put it back together. I was then able to run a diagnostic again to check to see if I had 120VAC at the end of the cable, going into the wash motor. I verified that I did have 120VAC coming off the board and 120VAC at the end of the cable, where it plugs into the wash motor. I freaked out that maybe I got a bad replacement part. But I plugged the wash motor back in and ran one more diagnostic cycle to check everything out again, and the wash motor kicked on when expected! I must have just not seated the connector into the wash motor when I replaced it.

I ran it through several more diagnostic cycles and through a normal wash cycle and everything seems to be functioning correctly. Thank you all for your help!

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 02:11:15 PM »
Nice! Thanks for getting back to us. O0