Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Electrical sounds and smells from GE fridge GSH25JSTA SS  (Read 1535 times)

Offline a933114

• VIP Member
Electrical sounds and smells from GE fridge GSH25JSTA SS
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:19:35 AM »

GE refrigerator model GSH25JSTA SS (serial number LL205348) made popping and crackling sounds, and smells like an electrical short but it's still working. Bottom front fans blowing cool air. Bottom rear component area was dusty, vacuumed it. Control board looks like new. Unplugged it overnight, powered on this morning. Popping sounds stopped. Electrical odor like something burned out still pretty strong. Fridge works. Thoughts?

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Electrical sounds and smells from GE fridge GSH25JSTA SS
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:41:49 AM »
If everything is working and cooling this would be hard one to figure out.Might be a wait and see game.There is a defrost heater in the freezer if it went bad you will start to get frost build up in about 4 or 5 days on the freezer panel and poor cooling in the refrigerator and ice cream would be soft.I have a tech sheet below where it kind of shows  you where some of the electrical  connection are.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:44:44 AM by dab147315 »

Offline a933114

• VIP Member
Re: Electrical sounds and smells from GE fridge GSH25JSTA SS
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
GE service tech checked the control board and looked at the compressor and relay switch. He says the electrical sound I heard was water hitting the defrost heater. I asked about the burning plastic smell and he said same, just water hitting the heater.

I asked about the howling wind sound and played him this video of what it sounds like https://streamable.com/v7iut he said he never heard such a sound. Of course, as soon as he left, my fridge resumed making the howling wind sound, which it hasn't done in days.

I asked why my fridge ices over if I put large items on the top shelf and he said it's normal.

Tech says my fridge is fine. I asked if it was ok to buy groceries and he said go for it.

I was not charged for the diagnosis, thanks to GE support.

\_(ツ)_/