Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Frigidaire LGH52634KP0 Not coming on at all with new main control board  (Read 517 times)

Offline nolazach

• Technician

Okay, I have this fridge for a customer.  I remove PCB control from under fridge and have an obvious burn in next to the relay and the relay on the board just clicks with the display showing " SY CE"   (system control error)   

Diagnostics say to check continuity between white wire and a couple of other wires.  All good.

Step two if wiring is good is to replace control.   Well control (530918514) is a little different and uses harnesses to connect.
  I wire it all up the only way it can go, making sure the red and black wire (the only original plug you connect to the board) is installed.  Power it up and nothing.

Power to the board, 12VDC to panel, still not a light nothing.

I put old board back in and everything lights up, the compressor tries to start and then the SYCE comes back.  But at least  I have lights.

A fellow in the trade told me you ALWAYS have to replace both the display board with a new main board.   I triple check wirings.

All I can gather is (A) a bad control from the factory or (B) you really need to replace both at the same time.  Which to me is odd.

The extra board will cost me $108.  I have a $205 profit window on the job.  Trying to decide whether to cut into profit or tell the customer they need to pay an extra $110.   I hate when you have two boards to deal with.   

Anyway, wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this.  Maybe I am missing some kind of way to update it.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
For some unknown reason, electrolux is not fessing up, if new control board does not solve the problem with the communication error between old display & new PCB under refrigerator, the directions from manufacturer is to replace display board also.  Screw frigidaire.    I price the repair with both boards when giving a quote.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
remove the ice bucket and check to see if the thermistor on the bottom of the ice maker was ripped off. Two white wires. That is usually what causes the issue. shorts out the boards. If you have 12vdc to the display board and the display is blank you need the display. If you don't have the 12vdc from the main to the display you need the main and the display.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 05:03:02 PM by mz3own »

Offline afterblast

• Technician
If the internal fridge lights won't come on then the boards can't communicate..  ohm out the three wire harness and if it's good your probably gonna need the display board...

If you go to emaservicetips.com you can log in with account name "service" password "tips".  It's got a lot of these buried in it..   great for their flex and bullet style ice makers as well... O0

Offline nolazach

• Technician
For some unknown reason, electrolux is not fessing up, if new control board does not solve the problem with the communication error between old display & new PCB under refrigerator, the directions from manufacturer is to replace display board also.  Screw frigidaire.    I price the repair with both boards when giving a quote.

Well this is what it was.  I went back today and installed the display board and it worked.   I actually put the display board with the old board first and it didn't work.  Old display board with new control board and it didn't work.  Then with new display and new control board it worked.  The control board has an obviously blown capacitor.   Then new board had no effect on the display board yet it was outputting the 12v.  There is only one communication wire and there was continuity on it.
   Was a pain.  Yeah not the first time I have been burned with only getting one board on a frigidaire.   

Offline nolazach

• Technician
remove the ice bucket and check to see if the thermistor on the bottom of the ice maker was ripped off. Two white wires. That is usually what causes the issue. shorts out the boards. If you have 12vdc to the display board and the display is blank you need the display. If you don't have the 12vdc from the main to the display you need the main and the display.

I'm kind of bummed I didn't check this out first. 

Offline nolazach

• Technician
My final diagnostic from my internal notes.

"The unit had an obviously bad main control board.  This unit was replaced with the new Electrolux replacement for the original part number.  Upon install of the unit, the indications of the machine pointed to incompatibility between boards.  The old boards gave a SY CE, the new control gave no error and no lights.  This indicates incompatibility.  So the display board had to be changed out as well.  After changing both boards the unit operated normally.  Parts cost was $238 against $215 collected for the main control.  I decided not to charge for an extra board as their are a repeat customer with multiple properties and it was already a high dollar job"
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:42:43 PM by nolazach »

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
My final diagnostic from my internal notes.

"The unit had an obviously bad main control board.  This unit was replaced with the new Electrolux replacement for the original part number.  Upon install of the unit, the indications of the machine pointed to incompatibility between boards.  The old boards gave a SY CE, the new control gave no error and no lights.  This indicates incompatibility.  So the display board had to be changed out as well.  After changing both boards the unit operated normally.  Parts cost was $238 against $215 collected for the main control.  I decided not to charge for an extra board as their are a repeat customer with multiple properties and it was already a high dollar job"

This is new to me.  I am noting it so next Frigidaire that has a problem I will use these diagnoses.  But I will explain both scenarios to let the customer know what the expenditure could be.  Ive been burnt on this job also.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines

This was to go with above post.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:01:55 PM by Patricio »

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines

I will get it correct.  This was to be quoted with my post...sorry for the confusion.

I'm kind of bummed I didn't check this out first. 

241511101 Frigidaire Refrigerator Main Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6996
Last post May 31, 2009, 11:49:58 AM
by AJ
240596702 Frigidaire Refrigerator UI Control Board

Started by AJ

Views: 4992
Last post May 31, 2009, 11:58:50 AM
by AJ
240554501 Frigidaire Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Control Board

Started by AJ

Views: 7164
Last post October 03, 2009, 12:23:13 PM
by AJ
WR55X10942 GE Refrigerator Main Control Board

Started by AJ

Views: 7804
Last post October 18, 2009, 01:44:23 PM
by AJ
5303918340 Frigidaire Refrigerator Duel Digital Control Board

Started by AJ

Views: 5521
Last post October 30, 2009, 07:39:07 PM
by AJ
GE refridgerator making clicking noises from main control board.

Started by oldguy68

Replies: 10
Views: 17231
Last post June 09, 2014, 10:58:00 PM
by 63CentBandit