Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: should there be any frost on the evap coils ??  (Read 414 times)

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
should there be any frost on the evap coils ??
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »

probably gunshy now but how do I know my defrost is working...its a Whirlpool side by side...the temp in the fridge was about 40 and it shut off...I tried to turn the temp higher it wouldn't come on..pulled the freezer lower drawer and put my hand near the vent in back and could feel heat so I knew it was in defrost mode...

Now later tonight after it seemed to be running fine,,,the temp in the fridge was 37...it was still running and I puled the drawer and looked in the vent in back and I could see a little of the coils and they had frost on them....

Is this normal or should they always be frost free ???

Thank you guys so much for the help and patience teaching me these things...:)

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
Re: should there be any frost on the evap coils ??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:52 PM »
Yes that is normal. They will build up a layer of frost until it goes into defrost. At that time it will cut power to compressor and fans and turn on the heater. Usually happens 2 or 3 times a day unless it is computer controlled.

Offline cvcman

• VIP Member
Re: should there be any frost on the evap coils ??
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 10:39:26 PM »
So it seems everything is working, I felt heat when in defrost so I know the heater works,as does the timer,and I would guess the tstat too? Thhx