Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE washer spins, but clothes still wet  (Read 726 times)

Offline Kevinm92

• VIP Member
GE washer spins, but clothes still wet
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:03:30 PM »

Model# wjsr4160g0ww

Hey everyone,

i noticed recently that the washer is getting louder on the spin and drain cycle, almost like a gear turning the wrong way. I ignored it until I also noticed my clothes were still soaking wet when I took them out of the wash, but the tub is drained. The tub is definitely spinning (I checked), but it must not be getting up to the highest speed. The washer is older but it's in mostly good condition and treats me well. (Replacement parts are also mostly cheap.)

I checked the belt and it looks almost new (has been replaced). The pump is as strong as ever, and the inlet hoses are new so they are not leaking.

What gives?

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
Re: GE washer spins, but clothes still wet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
Sounds like your tub seal gave out, leaked water into the Mode Shifter WH38X10017 which washed the grease out of it leading to your noise. The water could have also splashed onto your inverter motor WH20X10093 causing it to short out and fail. The mode shifter replacement is not a job for the average DIYer.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline Kevinm92

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I've read horror stories about the tub seal itself, so i'll avoid it.

However, and maybe I'm just trying to hold onto hope, wouldn't the seal keep leaking? I've looked under the tub and have not seen any evidence of leaks.

When I take the front panel off and listen to it spin, it definitely sounds like the mode shifter. But it's not a bearing?

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »
The mode shifter is like a transmission, with interior bearings. They can definitely fail without a tub seal leak. Usually if the seal has leaked you can see evidence on the interior walls of the cabinet. It will have been stained.

Take your belt off and see if the motor will spin without noise. On rare occasions bearing inside the motor will fail and causes noise.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
On many of the GE HydroWave washers the hole the seal sits in is out of round and that causes the seal to fail and make horrible shrieking noises during spin. I just today finished repairing one such machine.