Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Dryer DLE1001W Won't Heat Up  (Read 2308 times)

Offline coreyhall

• VIP Member
LG Dryer DLE1001W Won't Heat Up
« on: March 06, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »

Hello, and thank you in advance for the help!

Brand: LG
Model: DLE1001W
Type: Electric

I woke up to the dryer not having any power. No lights, nothing. I checked the breaker and it was not popped. I reset the breaker and went back to the dryer and it had power. I run a load and realize that it was not heating up. There were no error codes, breakers were still not popped.

I ran the diagnostics and got a nP error code. This means that the correct power is not getting to the dryer to run the heater element. It tells me to reset the breaker. I do. I come back and the dryer is heating and runs 2 loads. It fails again after this.

The diagnostic says its nP again. So I repeat the same steps, but this time it will not heat. I ran the diagnostics 4 times. It did come back with an error code of HS one time. Which means the humidity sensor might have been bad.

I don't believe it's my house's internal wiring as the breaker is not popping and nothing else is affected. The dryer still gets power to run loads, but will just not heat. Where do you think I should my attention first? Would the humidity sensor cause it not heat? Or would the power run through the circuit board and perhaps something in there is shotty? I opened it up and it doesn't smell or look burnt. What do you guys think?

Offline manden

• Technician
Re: LG Dryer DLE1001W Won't Heat Up
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
I don't believe it's my house's internal wiring as the breaker is not popping and nothing else is affected
I am not sure why you feel the breaker is OK. Is it the mains breaker you are resetting or the dryer breaker?
The dryer breaker will not effect anything else.

It is not that uncommon to have a breaker that trips but does show that it is tripped.

When it is not working check the voltage at the terminal strip in the unit.
L1 to L2 should be 240 volts
L1 to Neutral and L2 to Neutral, both should be 120 volts.
If OK then it is probably something else in the unit causing your problem.

Be careful as 240 volts is lethal !!!     

Offline coreyhall

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
UPDATE:

I got home and reset the entire break once again. This time I allowed it to stay off for 15 seconds. I check on the dryer and its heating again.

Offline moosebymail

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 01:59:20 AM »
It's definitely the breaker.

It's not rated to enough amperage, or it's going bad and tripping one of the pegs buts not the other (and not showing you). Happened to me. Good luck! Replace the breaker with one rated for the amperage of the dryer (if it already is - replace it anyways), it's like a $20 part at Home Depot or Amazon.

Don't mess with the moister sensor, that's BS, the most you'll have to do is clean it once in a while.

Be careful, 240v is enough to kill you.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
Not sure if you have corrected the problem yet but if the breaker is the problem it will be warmer on the surface than other breakers. It should not be significantly warm as compared to other breakers when in use.

Offline moosebymail

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »
Not sure if you have corrected the problem yet but if the breaker is the problem it will be warmer on the surface than other breakers. It should not be significantly warm as compared to other breakers when in use.

I didn't know that, thanks for the information  I have an old square D box that I traced it back to. I could not for the life of me figure it out. I remembered an older gentleman telling me a story about old square D boxes being recalled because the breakers wouldn't work, so I went to Home Depot and got a double-pole 60hz 240v breaker. Little did I know - those old square D breakers are a different size - I had to find one on Amazon. and that *was* the problem. I had to reset it after putting it in - but it was definitely the problem.

Offline moosebymail

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »
oh, in case it helps someone- the way to diagnose one of those breakers is to open the breaker box, and with power on (be careful!), take a reading from terminal one to ground, it should be 120. Take a reading from terminal 2 to ground, should be 120. Take a reading from terminal 1 to terminal 2 (if it's not 249v, your breakers bad)