Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Frigidaire fridge model FFET1222QW,evaporator fan problem  (Read 2903 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
Frigidaire fridge model FFET1222QW,evaporator fan problem
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:34:15 AM »

This is another fridge evaporator fan motor causing control computer to flash and stop the compressor.When the fridge was running,the evaporator fan motor ran 2 turns ad stop,ran 2 turns and stop,until the control leds flashing back and forth and stop everything.If I disconnect the power to the evaporator fan motor,the compressor would run without interruption.This shows the condition of the evaporator motor affects the control computer.Please help!

FFET1222QW

Offline Risen

• Technician
Re: Frigidaire fridge model FFET1222QW,evaporator fan problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 05:32:49 PM »
According to the wiring diagram, the FZ evap fan motor is directly wired to the control board. Check to make sure you have 120V going to the fan, if so. If unplugging the fan motor returns everything to normal, it sounds like you have a bad fan motor.
The part number for the Fan motor is 5304498691
If you want a new fan blade the part number is 5304490957
If you change the fan motor and still have problems the only thing left it could be is a faulty control board 5304498695

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
Thank you Risen,I also suspect the evaporator fan motor is the problem.This motor is 12 volt dc and costs retail price Can$170.I will try to find a Frigidaire or GE 12 Volt dc motor which are less expensive.I will report back after I get it going again.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:28 AM »
I got a surprise today when I put the old evaporator fan motor and wall partition( which separates the evaporator from the freezer compartment )back,the compressor and the evaporator fan motor both ran satisfactorily.I don't know what has changed.I had the same story before.That time,I declared that fridge would need a new evaporator fan motor.A few days later the occupant plugged it in,it was working for a month or two and called me again after two months.The control lites go back a

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 12:53:49 AM »
Sorry,the previous incomplete reply was posted by accident.The occupant energized the fridge,it worked again for two months.I was called again to fix it. .I again declared it needed a new fan motor.So now this is a different fridge but same model. I won't know how long it would work.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 01:36:17 AM »
A few days later,the fridge stopped working altogether
The control indicating lite did not come on.none of the five lites comes on.So I replaced the control board
It's working again. I will have to observe this fridge for a few day more.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:20:11 AM »
The control has five LEDs, you push the push the selector button to choose the desired one, only one is on at a time.Today, the control panel is blank and the fridge has not been running. I unplugged it for two minutes and plugged it back in, the middle LED came back on and the fridge is running again. The fridge is in a room that is60F.why does it need rebooting so often? How Can I fix it?

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 08:30:45 AM »
I got a new evaporator fan motor and installed it in ,it is working good now.The current draw of the old fan motor caused the control to shut down.I have not seen a sensitive control like this.

Offline chup

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »
I have this exact fridge and it just exhibited the same problem. Noticed in the morning that the ice cubes were wet so I pulled it out to diagnose. After plugging/unplugging all I could hear was a short "whump" up at the top, which after your post I'm 99% sure was the evaporator fan trying to start and only making it 2 rotations and stopping the compressor from coming on. After waiting for a bit it finally managed to start and the fridge began working again, but obviously I need to replace it to prevent this in the future.

Did you replace both the control board and the evap fan motor? Do you think the control board replacement was necessary or would just the evap fan motor suffice?

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
Hello chup,I only replaced the evaporator fan motor to make the fridge work.I did not need to replace the control.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-motor-5304498691-ap5955454.html

Offline chup

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 02:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I'll swap it out and let you know in case you run into the issue again. Maybe a common problem with this fridge.

Offline Bry_

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
I got a new evaporator fan motor and installed it in ,it is working good now.The current draw of the old fan motor caused the control to shut down.I have not seen a sensitive control like this.

Same issue here, the motor is rated for 4 watts so should only draw about .35 amps. Mine was oscillating between .7 and .3. You had mentioned in a earlier post that you were trying to source a cheaper GE fan. Any luck with that. Little reluctant to drop $170.00 for a replacement fan if a cheaper option could be used.

Offline chup

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »
You can actually get it on Amazon for less than $100: https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-5304498691-Refrigerator-Evaporator-Motor/dp/B01LOT1PCC

Also to follow up on my post, the fridge has been working perfectly ever since I installed the new motor. I did not replace the control board, it wasn't needed, shillion was right.

Offline Bry_

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 03:42:46 AM »
You can actually get it on Amazon for less than $100: https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-5304498691-Refrigerator-Evaporator-Motor/dp/B01LOT1PCC

Also to follow up on my post, the fridge has been working perfectly ever since I installed the new motor. I did not replace the control board, it wasn't needed, shillion was right.

Thanks, just a bit reluctant to purchase unless from a reputable source, not that the amazon supplier isn't reliable, but most appliance parts supplier won't accept returns on electrical parts. One enver knows if they are receiving a used or defective item.

Pretty much confirmed the fan was a issue, had it working for a bit, then the control board went into protection mode I suppose, with the 5 leds displaying and it shuts down. Stuck a 12 v computer fan as a test and it ran perfect for a couple hours, fan froze up though. Not rated for waterproof I suppose. :)

Looks like GE makes a couple fans that are close if not identical that I suppose one could try WR60X10209 for 1/3 the prise , 9.75 v could try overdriving or wire in a regulator.

Offline shillion

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »
This is Shillion, I haven't been trying to find a GE fan motor to replace the original fan motor, there are a few considerations.The shaft length,shaft diameter,the speed,the current draw, the mounting, the rotation etc. I am just too busy to try it out.So for now I am happy to use the specified motor,and it's still working.

Offline Bry_

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
True, suppose it's doable and other replacement fans would fit, but just not worth the hassle. Looks like this particular motor is made in a number of variations by the mfg for various companies, but unless you can get the datasheets not worth pursuing Oh well, my wallet is $170.00 lighter but the fridge is now working.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
53044986915  Could of bought it here and save some money. One of the best return policy around.

Offline Bry_

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »
53044986915  Could of bought it here and save some money. One of the best return policy around.

In Canada so $170.00 CDN is around the going rate, Not worth the hassle ordering Stateside with shipping, duty, taxes etc. Place I bought it from doesn't allow refunds on electrical parts (most don't) but does offer a warranty which is all I wanted. Didn't want a dud out of the box which is so common with replacement parts these days.

Offline SD40-2

• Technician
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »
Anybody remember how the evap fan came out of the mount? Thanks in advance.

Offline Bry_

• VIP Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
Anybody remember how the evap fan came out of the mount? Thanks in advance.

Going by memory you pop off a couple plastic screw covers on the back freezer panel, pulls out and I believe there is a foam cover that is removed to access the fan, and the fan is mounted in a holder with a couple screws