Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ge fridge ice bucket solid ice  (Read 635 times)

Offline Joeyt56

• Technician
Ge fridge ice bucket solid ice
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:46:32 AM »

I'm working on a GE side-by-side the ice bucket turns into a block of ice look like the icemaker itself was dripping so I replace the icemaker customer reports it's doing it again any other ideas didn't look like the water valve was sticking on or overflowing

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Ge fridge ice bucket solid ice
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »
Sounds like a bad water valve to me.

Offline manden

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
You may want to put some ice cubes into a bowl and position it in the freezer where if it is a water leak water cannot drip into the bowl.

Then if the cubes become a solid chunk of ice you know that the freezer is getting too warm sometimes and it is not a water leak problem.

Offline Joeyt56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
You may want to put some ice cubes into a bowl and position it in the freezer where if it is a water leak water cannot drip into the bowl.

Then if the cubes become a solid chunk of ice you know that the freezer is getting too warm sometimes and it is not a water leak problem.

Thanks for the tip just based off of that I decided take a look at the defrost system and sure enough  the defrost thermostat the bimetal was stuck in the closed position even when placed into a glass of hot water and never opened.  This obviously allowed defrost heater to remain on much longer than needed.  I'll be honest I've been doing this for 12 years probably replaced couple hundred bad thermostats never had one fail in the closed position  they were always open or the thermostat top was popped