Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Washer WM2016CW/01 Smoking - No Errors  (Read 11449 times)

Offline peteypat

• VIP Member
Re: LG Washer WM2016CW/01 Smoking - No Errors
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2020, 10:54:05 PM »

I have a similar issue with my WM2477HS where on the spin cycle, it's making a terrible racket and sometimes, burnt rubber smoke will be coming out of the tub. The tub is definitely spinning off center as well.  I also found piece of hard metal in the filter & after doing some research on the forum, it looks to be the spider arm assembly.
Based on the evidence, it looks like a spider arm issue. But I don't know if there might be other issues with the bearings or drum without taking it apart.  I have a lack of space, so once it's apart, I need to be able to find the parts and fix it right away.  Does anybody know what the symptoms are if the bearing or tub will have an issue since I need to have all the parts ready in advanced. Thanks!

I found these videos, check them out and see if they will help. 
https://youtu.be/NwR5qCsH5d4  - spider arm assembly
https://youtu.be/MNp1hzlcF1g - bearings
I just took the back plate off & there is no rust or leakage from the bearings. Question is now, since I'm going to be replacing the spider arm assembly, is it worthwhile to replace the bearing as well on this 10+ yr old washer?  I noticed in the youtube video, that the guy was able to get the drum out without pulling the whole drum out of the washer and that seemed to save a bit of time!

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 04:36:59 PM »
I would definitely replace the rear main seal - once you remove the seal you will be able to determine if water leaked into the bearings - there will be rust residue or brown film on the front and or rear bearings if seal leaked. Take you finger and spin the bearing and feel for any drag or noise - if no noise or visual rust or water more than likely you bearings are fine and you dodged a bullet. Then just replace the spider and rear main seal - I seat them with glue and press them in place then run a bead of glue around the outside of the seal where it meets the plastic housing as a added barrier. I would also scrub the outer tub pieces front and rear and remove the rubber hoses at the bottom of tub and wash them out individually then replace exactly as they are removed (they can hold coins/underwire bra stays/metal piece of the broken spider etc. and scum) I typically remove all the hoses at bottom and blast with a high pressure water hose and disinfect with bleach! Any problems feel free to DM me I'll be more than happy to help!

Offline peteypat

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
I would definitely replace the rear main seal - once you remove the seal you will be able to determine if water leaked into the bearings - there will be rust residue or brown film on the front and or rear bearings if seal leaked. Take you finger and spin the bearing and feel for any drag or noise - if no noise or visual rust or water more than likely you bearings are fine and you dodged a bullet. Then just replace the spider and rear main seal - I seat them with glue and press them in place then run a bead of glue around the outside of the seal where it meets the plastic housing as a added barrier. I would also scrub the outer tub pieces front and rear and remove the rubber hoses at the bottom of tub and wash them out individually then replace exactly as they are removed (they can hold coins/underwire bra stays/metal piece of the broken spider etc. and scum) I typically remove all the hoses at bottom and blast with a high pressure water hose and disinfect with bleach! Any problems feel free to DM me I'll be more than happy to help!
Thanks Blaiser for the offer!  Would you happen to have the part# of the 6 bolts that secures the spider to the drum?  I'm close to sourcing all the parts to do all of this, including the bearings, it will come up to over $375 CAD + tax!   :'(
My wife said that it's not worth it to fix a 13 yr old machine (possibility of other parts breaking later) when a new LG WM3700HVA is only around $700 + tax now with the gov't energy rebate.  But I wonder how durable these newer models are?

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 07:29:05 AM »
Here is what I found but I'm sure you can find cheaper! Just need to find thread and size and Stainless Steel Material so it won't rust!

https://www.genuinereplacementparts.com/lg-wm2501hva-spider-bolt-genuine-oem?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI17GHofHl6gIVZOW1Ch2zygJHEAQYAyABEgKHxPD_BwE