Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Washer WM2016CW/01 Smoking - No Errors  (Read 8158 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
LG Washer WM2016CW/01 Smoking - No Errors
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:41:17 AM »

I'm trying to help some friends with an LG Washer that is occasionally smoking, but it otherwise works fine and is throwing no error codes.
I took it apart the other day, but could find nothing obviously wrong, and nothing smelled.    I've worked with enough electronic devices to know that the smell from a burning component usually doesn't just go away.....that stink tend to stick around for a long time.    That, and the fact that is working 'okay', leads me to believe that there might be something caught in-between the inner and outer tubs and when it spins, it's generating enough heat to create the smell / smoke.     BTW - the smoke is inside the tub area when they open the washer door.

What do you folks think?    Does my 'theory' even sound possible?   This washer is 7 years old and gets a LOT of use......at a Veterinary clinic.   I'm not too comfortable about the idea of taking the tubs apart to check my idea, unless it's not as difficult as I think it might be.

I've repaired this washer for them several times, but I'm wondering if it's finally time to take it out back and put it out of it's (and my) misery.   

I appreciate any thoughts you can provide.   

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: LG Washer WM2016CW/01 Smoking - No Errors
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:39:17 AM »
Before you tear it down, look at the door boot. Check for rubber powder in the "fold" and check the gap between the basket and boot for excessive wear. They may be getting clothing caught/rubbing in the gap. That can create what customers describe as a hot or burning odor. It may just need a new door boot and/or customer instruction on proper loading.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:02:49 PM »
Thanks Scrapiron!

I will check to see if that seems like it could be the cause of the issue, but I'm not sure I'm up to the task of replacing that boot, even if it was the cause.....it looks like a bigger job than I'm ready to tackle.   I've removed the boot from the door several times, but removing it from the tub/drum looks a lot more involved.
 :thanks:

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:47:35 AM »
Agree with Scrapiron - you might also want to check the basket - try to lift the inner basket and see if there is any play in the basket. Any lift what so ever or play in the basket will indicate your Spider Tub Support is either cracked and flexing or bearings are worn and you'll have a tub seal leak. Dead give away will be removing the back panel and look inside for a Chocolate Brown Staining on the back and bottom of the machine. If the basket is "DROOPING" it is definitely a Support Issue. Sounds like your pretty handy - jump in there and getter done! Front boot is easily replaceable you just might have to remove the front panel and counter weights. Let us know what you find.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »
Thank you Blaiser!

I'm heading there tomorrow to check it out.    Will report what I find, if anything.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:17:33 PM »
 Let us know what you find.

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
Well, I lifted up on the inside tub/basket and it did move a little, but I"m not sure I'm qualified to determine if the movement was normal or not.
I did take several pictures of the door boot and I wonder if you guys might be right about the wear.    If I can figure out how to post some pictures, perhaps you can take a look and let me know what you think.    One thing I did notice was that there seemed to be more of a gap between the inner tub and the boot - from the 8-o'clock to 4 o'clock position, than near the bottom.    Again, I don't know how normal/typical that might be.

If you think the boot might be the issue, I'm still not sure if it's within my capabilities.....only because I don't know what is involved.    I've had the front panel off of the washer several times; to replace the drain pump and drain tubing, so I'm fine with that aspect, but I'm a little intimidated about removing / attaching the boot to the inside (outer?) tub assembly.    I've obviously removed the boot from the front panel.....and other than a little trouble getting the retainer ring/spring back on, it went okay.   It is about the same difficulty getting the other side attached?

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »
Here's a couple of pics......I hope.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 07:48:48 AM »

JumpingJackFlash -  I'm afraid the Bearings/Front and Back/ Tub Seal and/or one or all including the Spider Support (Tub Bracket Support) has snapped or worn. Your tub basket has "Drooped" and started to wear on the Rubber Boot creating friction and smoke inside the tub basket once it goes into the Spin Cycle - Your going to have to make a decision whether to fix it (about 2 hour job) or Scrap it. If you want a risk reward job you'll feel real good about yourself after fixing it - jump right in and go for it! You sound like you need a challenge and with a little time (support from us) and work you should be able to handle it without an issue but be aware that depending on how much wear that is/was put on the basket and rubber door boot you may have to replace the rubber door boot (about $80.- Notice the Mold growing on it in the pictures you sent us?) and/or the Outer Tub Shell Ring or Rear Outer Tub Shell ($100.) if it has worn through the plastic ($50.) You won't be able to make the decision until you take the washer apart and inspect the worn parts.

If you caught it early enough you may be able to just get away with Spider Basket Support/Tub Seal/Inner and Outer Bearings for Under $100/120. in parts. The labor will be on you saving them Big $$$. But all I can tell you - once your rebuild it you shouldn't have any issue with it for quite some time! Here is a list of parts if you decide to Getter Done! If you need step by step instructions feel free to ask anyone of us we're here to help you all the way

4434ER0003C - Spider Support
6306-2RS - Front Bearing (OEM PART# 4280FR4048E)
6305-2RS - Rear Bearing (OEM PART# 4280FR4048L)
4036ER2003A - Rear Tub Seal

Washer Outer Rear Tub Part # 3044ER0016D
Washer Inner Front Tub Ring Part # MCK33060002

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »
Thanks Blaiser!   
Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I was worried about replacing the boot/seal just to see the issue continue.    I didn't mention this earlier because I had forgotten about it, but the very first time I looked at the washer, I ran a short cycle with no clothes.   When it came to the Spin cycle, I was surprised to see as much wobble in the wash basket as I did, especially considering that it was empty.   That was probably a result of the worn and/or broken parts that you mentioned.

As rewarding as it is to repair things myself, I think this one is a bit beyond my expertise.   I could probably replace the parts, but what I'm concerned about is not being experienced enough to notice things that Technicians that work on these all the time might see....which could be critical to the repair and long term resolution.    And I don't want to spend $200 just to find out that I missed something that caused the new parts to fail prematurely.    I did that about 9 years ago with my first Whirlpool Front Loader.    The main bearing was shot (which I didn't realize at the time), but I replaced the other obvious components that failed due to the bad bearing and within a few months, the same parts were bad again.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed reply with part numbers.   Just for 'ha-ha's' I called a local Appliance store that sells and services LG washers.....I gave them the Part #'s and asked them for a grand total; parts and labor to fix it.   Just over $600.....so I think it makes more sense to take the money and invest it in a replacement washer for about the same price....which I will advise to my friends.

Thanks again for all of your help and sharing your thoughts on this one!!       :cheers:

Pete

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 11:57:12 AM »
Pete just remember LG and Samsung are the only front end loaders that sell the Spider Bracket by itself - GE, Frigidaire - Whirlpool etc.. all make you buy the Spider Assembly Drum all together as a whole drum assembly for Big Bucks not individual parts as LG and Samsung.

If you invest in another USED - LG or Samsung there no way you can guess if the same problem will not occur down the road in 1 month, 1 year or 5 years with a USED Machine. I literally just did one yesterday on an ALL-IN-One LG Washer/Dryer in which I paid $72. for the Spider Bracket, $6.00 for the seal and under $20. for both Front and Rear Bearings - Everything for under $100. bucks the rest is labor on me. Now I have a fully rebuilt Front End Loader worth somewhere in the $600. to $800. range if I resell. But I know it will last at least 5+ years internally. Just a little something to think about. I bought all the parts online - if you need pics I can send you - just let me know - You can do it!

This is probably what happened

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 12:07:55 PM »
More Pictures of what probably has happen just to give you a visual of inside of rear drum support