Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Defrost cycle issue with my bottom mount freezer; warm fridge, freezer is fine!  (Read 815 times)

Offline ryanfordwells

• VIP Member

I am having a defrost cycle issue with my Kenmore bottom mount freezer (Model #: 596.69283011).

The freezer is working, but fridge gets warm. Even before this happens I can tell it is going to happen with extra frost on freezer items and really hard ice cream. Also I usually find some frost on the back vent in the top part of the fridge too.

The compressor seems to be running fine and the back fan near the compressor does as well. Removing the back panel in the drawer freezer reveals that the coils are completely iced up. Blower Fan from freezer into fridge is free of ice and is still working.

I have manually defrosted 6-8 times so far and fridge seems to work fine after (sometimes for as little as a 1 week, sometimes as much a month or so).

My amateur troubleshooting to date:
- Tested defrost heater: continuity test showed between 0-50 (something like 30 or 40). Shouldn't be the problem.
- Tested thermistor: continuity test, room temp test was 6.8k ohms and ice water test was around 28k ohms. Shouldn't be the problem.
- Tested defrost thermostat: continuity test in glass of ice water didn’t give a reading, replaced this part with brand new. After almost a month, same issue again. Warm fridge and coils blocked up with ice.

I keep reading about the timer and I do not know where that is located on my fridge model. I am assuming it is not a mechanical timer and would mean replacing a circuit board?

I am currently at a loss…any help REALLY appreciated. This manual defrosting is getting old.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
It is in the fresh food section like in this video.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
They had many problems with them and you will have to program it when you get it. and this is the part number same as in the video.  WPW10503278

Offline ryanfordwells

• VIP Member
Thanks a bunch for the reply and especially the video link. I was hoping it wasn't the control board but it is seeming more likely the culprit. Do you know of any way to test if is the control board for sure? By process of elimination with the heater, thermistor, and defrost thermostat it seems that the control board is the only thing left to replace but I would like to be sure seeing that it is $200 CAD.

Online baldwinappliance

• Technician
put it into manual defrost and see if the heater comes on. better find a tech sheet as this is from memory...

open doors and hold down door switches. push fridge temp up three times and then release the door switches.
push fridge temp up again to confirm entry into diagnostics.
use freezer up arrow to select diagnostic test and fridge up arrow to turn the test on.
but i don't remember which test is for the defrost.

but...if all components check good then prob the board.

Hotpoint fridge/freezer getting to warm (or for too long) during defrost cycle

Started by TheLandYacht

Replies: 33
Views: 5238
Last post December 17, 2015, 02:14:00 PM
by dab147315
Maytag fridge MBF2254HEQ freezer fine, fridge warm and failing service test 3

Started by teknogroove

Replies: 3
Views: 2461
Last post September 28, 2013, 12:39:52 PM
by dab147315
Here we go again, GE SxS Fridge/Freezer Warm on Top, Cold on Bottom.

Started by nobby

Replies: 30
Views: 9383
Last post August 06, 2014, 10:54:59 PM
by gscrandall
GE fridge with bottom freezer running warm

Started by Annorax

Replies: 2
Views: 1668
Last post August 02, 2014, 03:53:28 PM
by storm
GE Monogram Bottom Freezer Defrost Not Working