Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Washer only keeps power for 4 minutes, then dies regardless.  (Read 920 times)

Offline gaben

• VIP Member
Washer only keeps power for 4 minutes, then dies regardless.
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »

Hi everyone.

I have a Whirlpool Duet GHW9300PW4 washer, and today it just stopped a few minutes after my wife started a load.  When it stops, it responds to nothing. No lights, no buttons, nada. I checked the fuse box, and just to be sure, replaced it with a fuse that I have verified is working.  After having been off for a while, I can power it up again. Resumed cycle, and after a few minutes, dead again.

Unplug, wait, plug in and power on - I drained and emptied it, and then started the self diagnostic test and again it stops (at C04).
Repeat, to get it back on again - This time I was simply playing around with the door, dials and buttons. _Nothing_ running. It dies after a few minutes.
Repeat, to get it back on again - This time, I just keep spinning the program selector dial (to prevent the machine from going back to sleep), and lo-and-behold. 4 minutes later, it is dead.

I am assuming that there is nothing really wrong mechanically, because of this behavior, but what part could make it behave like that?  I have little experience with appliances, but I am a not afraid to DIY, including electronics. Is there some sort of power supply? Capacitor? "Motherboard"? Control panel?

I really don't want to call a repair guy, because they charge an arm and a leg just to look at things around here. And if the parts are going to cost a lot, I might as well replace the washer since it is about 10 years old.

I have tried searching for this behavior, but cannot find anything on the web. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thankful for any suggestions,

Gabe

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Washer only keeps power for 4 minutes, then dies regardless.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:37:48 PM »
You Know Gaben maybe you ought to buy a new machine.  And  5 years or less down the road when your machine breaks down maybe you ought to buy another new one.  That way you will not  insult a profession tech who charges an "arm & leg" to make a living for His/Her family.   We do more than "just look at things" We diagnose & determine what needs to be repaired to put your machine back in working order. You call it "playing around" but obviously you don't have a clue why it is misbehaving.  I bet your professional knows, but alas.  You don't want to pay for even a diagnoses.

Yes parts are expensive which keeps the cost of repair up but still less than a new machine, we cannot control manufacturer prices. Do you realize the cost of staying in business with all the Business expenses just to do business. Insurance, self employment Tax, Fees for bank accounts, Business taxes,  Manufacturer subscriptions for Technical/service manuals & Job aids,  Time spent studying, time spent chasing down parts,  Fees for other services, etc, etc...

Plus we spend the time helping others to learn our trade & give free, yes free education & advice to those who would like to do it themselves.     I could go on but my point is do not insult the professionals who make a living repairing your abused appliances.     Be grateful that there is a site that gives you free knowledge that we have earn on are own.   Something that sticks in my mind is a saying "Nobody likes to pay for knowledge"  nor do they like to pay for quality technical service.

So my answer to your post again is buy a new machine & please keep the negative comments to yourself.   I really don't think that you would appreciate the advice given in this forum. One last thing, A lot of self help sites are beginning to charge  for membership or replies.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline gaben

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »
I never meant to offend anyone, and I think you are reading into my post a bit more than was intended. I am not intentionally negative to your profession and I have no issues with hiring a professional when I lack the skills or time to do what needs to be done, and I would do so when needed. Even in this case, I considered it. I realize that parts will always cost, regardless of who buys them. I just don't want to pay for your time, if I can do it myself.  I do take issue with professionals who think that everyone should hire them, even when you don't have to, and they do not realize that there are quite capable people out there who can handle many things on their own. At this moment, I have no work, due to injury, which means I have time, and since I do not work, I would also like to minimize money spent. Today, I have entertained myself by diagnosing the problem, without professional help (other than some repair guides off the internet that should've been provided by the manufacturer site in the first place).

1. The washer runs just fine, if you are willing to watch it and reset it every so many minutes, to resume the cycle.
2. All mechanical parts function, and I have even tested their leads with a multi meter to verify.
3. The diagnostic test reports no problems with anything. (well, other than it dying, but you can skip through to make sure they are all parts are tested at some point)
4. The input power from the line filter is a steady 110V AC.
5. All wiring is in perfect condition.
---
So what is left to test? The electronics. Either the CCU or the control panel could somehow cause a short in their circuitry boards.  So how to devise a test that I can sense without having any indicators from the control panel? I went with aural. With power on, there is that common high pitch electrical sound that you can hear from almost any electronics (if you have good ears).
--
6. I wait for the shut down to happen again, and yes - the CCU is quiet, an indicator that the fault has happened.
7. I disconnect everything from the CCU, except for the power supply, and reset the power again. CCU is humming.
8. Plug in control panel, while power is live, and confirm with LEDs and buttons that machine is alive.
9. I disconnect the control panel again, Wait for CCU humming to stop. Reconnect control panel, and the machine is dead.
10. Repeat one more time for good measure. Same result - so the CCU dies even when _nothing_ else is connected.

I am 99% confident that the CCU is to blame and either needs to be repaired or replaced. I cannot be bothered to identify the faulty component on the circuitry board. That is my DIY limit, but I also see that the repair guide says there are no serviceable parts in the box - so I guess that is the limit for the professional as well.

Now, is anyone going to tell me that they have a better suggestion regarding what may be wrong?  It is possible that I have missed something in my testing, but I consider myself to be quite thorough.

I think I can confidently order a new CCU as my next step. I will return with my results when i am done, so that anyone who has the same symptoms can get an idea what may be wrong.

P.S. There is a slight possibility that there is also a fault in the control panel, but I am going to go with the CCU first.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
Well said Patricio ,

Offline gaben

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
Washer works fine with the new CCU, that I got locally for $225, to get it done asap. I could've ordered it online for a little cheaper, but the laundry was piling up. :P

Hopefully this conclusion will help someone else. :)