Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Whirlpool washing machine only works on spin cycle  (Read 1396 times)

Offline sheetmetaldan

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washing machine only works on spin cycle
« on: August 15, 2016, 09:05:58 PM »

Hi I recently bought a 2 family home and have issues with some of the appliances my washing machine only works on the spin cycle. A friend suggested the water inlet valve assembly might be bad, but when I set it to wash and tested it I found no power going to the water inlet valve. So if the valve is still good where do I look next? Can I put 110V to the inlet valve to see if it works? Or is that a bad idea I don`t want to cook a good part. Thanks for any help ...great site by the way!

Edited to add model # WTW5600SQ0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:07:14 PM by sheetmetaldan »

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: Whirlpool washing machine only works on spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:10:07 PM »
That is a direct drive model.  yes you can jump either inlet valve with 120vac.   .  It will not agitate if the pressure switch is not satisfied, get water to the tub.   Research on parts site direct drive problems such as not agitating.  A wealth of information there, ie. Repair clinic, Appliance Parts Pro, etc.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline sheetmetaldan

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:24:50 PM »
I could use a little more help. I tried researching the sites recommended to me here but no luck. I took out the water inlet valve I put power to it and could hear the contacts pull in so I am assuming it is not defective. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? I have no water coming into the wash machine itself. there is water at the pipes and the filters are not clogged on the inlet valve. The washer only works on the spin cycle when I turn the dial.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »
 You asked 2 two questions in your original post.  I tried to get you going with the water valve test 1st, since you were concerned with the water valve.

Test the water valves in the machine with the water lines hooked up and under pressure.  Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the water valve solenoid. Jump the water valves both hot & cold at the solenoid with a 120 vac jumper cord.  Either the valves work allowing water to pass or they don't.  That is your test for working valves. 

You say there is no power going to the water valves, did you test for 120 vac voltage potential at the valve molex connector.  My question to you before going further  "Can you read a simple wiring diagram?"

Offline sheetmetaldan

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:14:24 PM »
Thank you for the help Patricio it is appreciated. Here is where I am at, I hooked up the water lines as you said and I jumped the solenoids on the water valve hot and cold both passed water when I tested them. So it is confirmed the water valve is not my problem (WISH IT WAS). What I should be checking next I do not know.
To answer your question I am no pro but I should be able to follow a basic diagram. I have looked at the schematic that came with the washer it does however look a little confusing to me, but I should be able to get by if I know what to look for.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 10:02:50 PM »
OK you don't have voltage to the valves with timer in the fill mode.  So what you have to do is start checking voltage following the schematic & find where you lose the voltage to the valves.  Places of interest the pressure sensor, Timer.
You need to find where the voltage drops out.  Machine will not agitate until the pressure sensor is satisfied with water in the tub.  Chase the missing voltage to the valves. 

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:54 PM »
Aw hell just looked at your wiring diagram  your machine  has that ATC switch which means either the switch is bad (more than likely) or the timer is bad.  A hard call to diagnose on the internet.  Search this site for the ATC (all temperature Control) posts & see what is there.  I have not seen one of those models in about 5 years.   With out getting to technical you could purchase both from  a parts site that gives 1 year warranty.  install the ATC switch 1st & see if that takes care of your problem then replace the timer if it does not.    You can return either or both parts for a full refund & just be out shipping charges.

Offline sheetmetaldan

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
Ok Thanks Patricio I`ll search for ATC switch see what I find.

Offline anerepair

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 02:09:08 PM »
Jump your pressure switch violet to pink, does it fill?  Set timer to fill with cold water and check vac at atc switch from pk to wh.  Then check vac on atc from y/r to wh.  Get these readings back to me and I can help you narrow this down. 

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 12:15:15 AM »
Been looking for this...

Washing Machine Spin Cycle

Started by clamonte3

Replies: 1
Views: 4099
Last post August 13, 2008, 01:53:32 PM