Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung microwave SE error fix went awry...  (Read 2113 times)

Offline xtvius

• VIP Member
Samsung microwave SE error fix went awry...
« on: August 05, 2016, 02:42:23 PM »

Samsung SMH9187W microwave

Got the touch pad SE error (short error) this morning. Took the control panel off, unplugged all connectors from the circuit board, including the ribbon cable going to the touch pad. Cleaned everything and plugged back again. No success - SE error would not go away.

Unplugged again for another round of thorough cleaning. This time in my zeal I accidentally separated the red plastic patch on the end of the ribbon cable that goes to the touch pad (the ribbon cable coming to the circuit board has about an inch covered by a red "plastic" patch at the circuit board end; the patch is lightly glued on the cable end going into the connector). I positioned the red patch back as carefully as possible and reconnected everything. The microwave booted up - no SE error but no button on front panel would respond (basically got stuck at Enter time step).  Tried positioning the red patch many times but had no success - the touch pad would not react to pressing. Finally I decided to just not use the red patch and just insert the part of the ribbon cable with etched wires into the connector without it. Success. Everything works.

I think when I put back the red patch, I am not positioning it correctly. Since separating the two pieces was not planned, I did no make a note of how/where the red patch was positioned on the cable end - I just aligned the bottom and two side edges.

What the heck did I do? What is the purpose of that red patch on the end of the flexible cable? Is it safe to run the microwave without it, or am I going to set my house on fire? Should I just leave the red patch out, or should I put it back in a different/correct position that I don't know (my guess would be to offset it about 1/4" from the cable end)?

TIA!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:57:00 PM by xtvius »

Offline xtvius

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung microwave SE error fix went awry...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 03:10:57 PM »
Here is the picture of the cable and the red patch I talking about:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/samsung-switch-membrane-de34-00330d-ap5272126.html