Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Blower motor help  (Read 2071 times)

Offline dagoose

• VIP Member
Blower motor help
« on: July 13, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »

I am really gettign stress trying to get a unit up and running . I have no idea what the problem is. I thougth initially the control board was wrong so i took off the second blower motor i had brand new like the one before and took it down stairs. To make sure it was working i connected the 15 mfd capacitor and then connected the black and neutral white cable into the extension cord and into the AC 120 source. The transformer only turned on about 1/3 of the time without the help of a push . Also i have two brand new capacitors for 15MFD and both acted the same and both capacitors show 15 MFD within 10 percent. Also the motor reached 180 deg farinhiet which i tested out with an IR temperture reader which sounds to me to be extremely hot. What am i missing what is wrong?

Offline shieldcracker

• VIP Member
Re: Blower motor help
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:10:07 AM »
It seems you have a faulty motor. Replace it.

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
your blower motor more than likely has several wires coming out of it, all for different speeds, you can look at the wiring diagram and ohm out each leg or speed, but when bench testing make sure you start with the lowest speed or you can burn up your motor, like trying to start a car in 3 or 4th gear.
you should not need the transformer to bench test blower, but good idea bench test transformer.
hope that helps.

Offline Jonhb87

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
Signs of HVAC Blower Motor Issues

Strange Sounds
HVAC Blower MotorNoise coming from the furnace is often a sign of HVAC blower motor troubles. If you hear loud scraping sounds or metal rubbing together, there is possibly a problem with the blower motor wheel; in these instances, it will need to be replaced by a professional. A high pitched squealing sound can also be an indication that the blower motor is malfunctioning and will need to be repaired or replaced.

Overheating
A hot HVAC blower motor is an indication that your furnace has an overheating problem. If your furnace is a few years old, its age is often the main reason for a blower motor failure. You can contract the services of a qualified electrician to repair the motor. You may also consider replacing your furnace.

Cracked or Broken Belt
You will need to turn off the furnace at the circuit breaker to check the condition of the HVAC blower motor belt. Once you locate the blower motor, check the belt for cracks, fraying, or breaks. If you do notice signs of damage, don’t worry—the belt can easily be replaced to return the blower motor back to good condition.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • Caregiver, DIYer
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
when you tested it did you place a piece of cardboard to give it a little static pressure? gonna run hot and not up to speed if you dont
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair