Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Samsung French door,RFG298HDRS  (Read 1168 times)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Samsung French door,RFG298HDRS
« on: July 02, 2016, 11:20:00 PM »

Looking for manual, found a fast track.  Want to be sure how to remove the display.  Tugged on it but did not move.  Believe it has the tabs on left side??.

The water dispenser and Ice dispenser quit working.  Display works on every thing else.

I was looking at  wire diagram for the switches, dispenser arm ,,,and it looks like it is Just a ground that make Continuity back to the main board.  Is this correct and how do you know if it is completing the circuit and telling the water valve to turn on.

on Ice mode the auger is not working, so I believe that is telling me bad switch.

need to verify if there is a voltage to test the switches..  The one manual I have just shows how to remove the guts and replace not trouble shoot Ice makers dispenser.

I am in research mode and asking, so i don't have to stay up till 3 am..  I will if I have to, part of learning..

Thanks in advance.
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Re: Samsung French door,RFG298HDRS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »
Ok think my mind is coming back to board, and DC circuits trouble shooting.  The words Sink and Source are in my head.

I have not had the Samsung Class, but Getting more calls, and No one else wants to work on them.

I cant remember from my industrial maintenance days the difference between  sink and source.

After examining the print, and remembering how to test the voltages on the thermistors it dawned on me what I was not getting.

I know just need some confirming courage.

I  see the refrigerator door switch, may be the first in line for inspection  c30 #2 to cn50 # 7 door closed 5vdc

then
cn50 # 8 -cn50 # 6  Should ? have 5vdc when dispenser arm is depressed

has Samsung got a basic electrical training manual.  Had a rough time, with a VMW reading 116 volts at drain pump connection and still would not run the pump..  some sort of weird science rule going on in that.  will post that in washers.
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
I have a question about the trouble shooting tests points listed and the number they use, and then looking at wire diagram.

Page 86 of manual:  Does main PCB MICOM #116 have High 5v output?  Then you look at diagrams and they use CN 70 or CN50, 1-10

another test: check the voltage of IC75#7 same voltage as IC01 #116

need the translation, or system.

I can see on the print, what is connected at each CN , but this different Number  (116) make no logical sense

do you have to start at the bottom left corner and count the pins till you come to 116.. something like that?

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »
Ok so I am answering my own questions, but having to zoom the heck out of some prints.

I used my onenotes, screen capture, and converted it to PDF. so I could share what I found.

The tests points I did not understand, likeIC01 # 116, 0r IC75, are components on the board, and they also refer to j or jumper points. Could be a resistor, or heat sink when doing other test..

These zoomed in screen shots may help another, just learning Samsung  diagnostics, control board trouble shooting, skills.

you cant read these point on a printed diagram, have to zoom about 300 percent and find them on a pdf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfbibhh1xhnsnob/Samsung%20Rfg298hdrs%20zoom%201%2C%20PCB%20Layout%20.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/12sjxw5labvrcvg/Samsung%20rfg298%20hdrs%20zoom%202%20of%20PCB%20layout.pdf?dl=0

and please correct any errors of info I am posting, self learning means possible mistakes..

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:19:43 AM by curjones »

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »
The Original problem was no Ice water or Ice dispensed.   The micro switched failed.  Parts list does not have just the micro switch.
Customer bought the whole new display and was happy.

I have taken apart, and the two cover screws, rusted, had to be removed with pliers, one broke off.

there is a micro switch by Samsung DA 34-00011a that will work if you can get screws out. Picture attached.
You will have to remove the metal lever arm off this part number.

Can this old display be used as an interface control on the back for trouble shooting.  Like GE .  Is there any place to plug it in?

Oh and the display does not just come out by lifting up.. In fact I had to JAM a stiff putty knife in the right side to get the tab (bottom hidden cant see it)  to release, I replaced it with my thin blade putty knife, and put the stiff one on the second top tab ,right side.  Then pull out and up and it might come loose.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
As far as the class went on trouble shooting, I finally figured out THAT MICON is a processing chip,  and has 132 pins.  Could not see that in print or diagrams.  You have to look at the schematic of the board, and have a board in front of you to locate the connections.

This level trouble shooting can be a pain, if you don't have a mini adapter set for your meter, and good eye sight.
I just bought me some MAGNIFYING TOOLs so this old bat could see.