Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Maytag Neptune front load MAH4000AWW noise  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune front load MAH4000AWW noise
« on: July 10, 2016, 01:16:59 PM »

I just bought a used  Maytag Neptune front load with model number MAH4000AWW that was supposedly in need of minor repair work. The previous owner told me that there was no bearing noise when running. In checking the rear section I found the belt was off. I replaced/reinstalled the belt which was in good shape.  and checked the bolt which was fairly tight. I then put in a small load of clothes and observed the operation thru the entire cycle which was set for normal small load but NOT at max extract. The agitate portion of the cycle ran well but when the pulley was turning the drum in the CCW direction as viewed from the bolt end which it does alternatively I hear a slight snap ,crackle, pop noise from the bearing area. When it went into spin the drum turns CW and no significant noise was heard. In checking the small bleed hole in the lower area in the rear of the drum outer housing at the bearing section some water has bleed thru and left a slight trail of rusty water down and dripped on to the floor of the machine.
My question to other repair personnel is as follows:Can this unit be expected to run very long under this condition or should I bite the bullet and do a complete teardown and repair. Also can the bearing be replaced from the rear  by removing the large snap ring ? Also is it likely this model has a cracked support structure ? Any and all comments will be appreciated ASAP.

Offline deekin

• Technician
Re: Maytag Neptune front load MAH4000AWW noise
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
We do at least one of these a month, can't be done from behind, tub supports are very rare to have issue, if it is leaking through weep hole seal is done and will only get worse.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 08:38:04 PM »
I noted on a U Tube video  of the bearing replacement procedure that the tech did the bearing replacement  w/o removal of the outer tub from the machine. He had a bearing removal and replacement tool setup which was essentially a pusher and puller that utilized a central screw, and an adaptor plate with a stepped diameter plate, washers, and a LH threaded nut. It looks very well designed and was fast. The video did not give a source however. Does anyone have a source for this tooling ?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »
Please post the link to the youtube video, thanks.

This any help?

http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=5563.0

http://www.neptunebearing.com/

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 03:09:45 AM »
Here s the info for this repair procedure  .     
It is actually in 3 parts and is a good description
I also know about the tool rental arrangement from the supplier in Ohio .

Offline deekin

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 06:48:49 AM »
earlier post that describes tool and repair very well.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=5233.0

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 08:45:29 AM »
I have the same washer and the same noise. It runs fine and it doesn't do the popping noise every time. I have looked behind it with cover off, not with it running, and there is no sign of a drip or leak, no rusty water signs. Very clean for it's age. A repairman I asked about it once told me it was the flat washer on the pulley. To take out bolt, flip flat washer over and reinstall. He said it was cupped and caused the noise but I was afraid I might make things worse so I just left it. Mine has been making the noise 7 or 8 years. I even thought it might be a shock I'm hearing. Either way, it's been a good washer. 16 years old and I had the door switch/ board replaced during first year warranty. Not another problem other than this noise, but if it quit tomorrow I couldn't complain.

Maytag Front Load Neptune Washer Banging Noise when Spinning

Started by dkmminc

Replies: 11
Views: 22473
Last post June 17, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
by schaffersapplian
Maytag Neptune front load MAH4000AWW

Started by Thorning

Replies: 4
Views: 507
Last post April 14, 2016, 06:24:07 AM
by deekin
MAYTAG NEPTUNE FRONT LOAD MAH6700AWW NOT WORKING FRUSTRATED

Started by stacy2

Replies: 4
Views: 10413
Last post June 15, 2008, 09:18:30 PM
by stacy2
help with maytag neptune front load washer start but stop after few seconds..

Started by soccerboy

Replies: 5
Views: 10738
Last post January 11, 2015, 11:59:46 AM
by johnvarles
Maytag Neptune Front Load Door Leak

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 0
Views: 4064
Last post June 01, 2009, 09:47:23 PM
by MajorApp
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 19848
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ