Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Old maytag LAT923AAE  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
Old maytag LAT923AAE
« on: June 24, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »

Hello All,

So I got a call for a "no spin no drain" on an old maytag so I say to myself "easy" and pick up some new belts on the way thinking I'll be in and out. Not so fast. Belts were a little worn for sure probably needed a change for routine maintenance but nothing stopping the cycle.

So then I hop on over to the lid switch. With the lid down I wasn't getting any continuity so I say ok it's the lid switch. I jump the switch wire to wire and get it spinning. So I order up a lid switch and put it in today. Adjusted it so the contact point would hit and tested it out. It spun, it drained. I wrote an invoice and I left.

I get 15 min away and the customer calls saying the washer is making lights flicker and will now not work again...

I turn around and start checking again. I pull the lid switch assembly out and push the contact in the back and can get it to spin but not go past the point it was before. (It would stop right after fill. The timer would sound like it's trying then lights would sometimes dim, sometimes I could move it to spin and it would others I'd have to unplug and jump the switch and it would spin.) but it will never go past fill.

At this point I'm imagining the motor is taking to much of an amp draw and not kicking into gear. I'm getting continuity between all windings I believe. I didn't end up checking them today. But from what I remember from the first visit I had continuity between all windings.

Anyone have any suggestions or tests?

Thanks in advance!!

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Old maytag LAT923AAE
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:14:22 PM »
Did you replace the whole switch assembly? I had one that acted up. I fixes it by replacing the whole switch assembly. Part number WP22001682
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »
Yea I replaced the whole assembly. I ended up blowing the fuse on the assembly as well as I was jumping the switch by the push button on the back.

Offline markcoby98

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • marks-mowers / Reasonable washer & dryer repair
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:25:02 PM »
Just for the heck of it, I would double check what else may be running off the same electrical circuit. Also check the voltage  supply and be sure it is adequate (at least 105 volts or better).
As voltage drops, the current drain raises, lights dim, circuit
breakers pop, high current motors are slow to start. One last thing, look for and test a motor start capacitor, I can't remember if the older Maytags of that vintage had start capacitor's or not.
One last thing, remove the drive belt's (pump to) and be sure the transmission and pump turn easy, no binding up and check the brake to be sure it is releasing properly.
Just my two cents
good luck
markcoby98      
PEACE ☮☯☺✌

markcoby98
PEACE ☮☯☺✌

Offline Zb555

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:28:37 PM »
Ok will do. I had checked the voltage it was good and I've moved the transmission and it's smooth. I forgot to mention the original complaint said someone had put a large comforter in it and that's when it had messed up.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »
Pieces/parts of comforter between inner and outer tub or getting stuck in drain pump? Try in all cycles. Many old may tags had two speed motors. Also no capacitators in the old ones. Try spinning drain pump pulley...is it smooth?