Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Bravos XL MVWB880BW0 - Intermittent Knocking Noise During Wash Cycle  (Read 3418 times)

Offline ShellAnswerMan

• VIP Member

Make/Model: Maytag Bravos XL
Model Number: MVWB880BW0
Placed in service: June 2015

I noticed that the washer has developed an intermittent knocking noise during the agitation portion of the wash cycle. This new noise is in addition to the normal operating sounds of the wash plate/impeller.

1. The noise seems to occur more often when the wash plate is changing from a clockwise to counterclockwise position.
2. I can move the wash plate a tad while in a stopped position. When I manually manipulate the wash plate both clockwise and counterclockwise, I can re-create a similar noise.
3. The noise didn't sound like money but I pulled the wash plate off and removed any overlooked coins trapped under there. That didn't solve the problem.
4.  Drum spins freely. No apparent bearing issues.
5.  Washer otherwise operates normally.

If anyone could provide an idea of what the issue may be, or any additional troubleshooting instructions, that would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Offline cayay

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Bravos XL MVWB880BW0 - Intermittent Knocking Noise During Wash Cycle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »
Did you ever determine what the noise is from.  I have the same type of washer except it is the 700 series and it is two years old and it just started to make the identical noise.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »
Check the rotor (white plastic drum at bottom of motor) - has a 1/4 inch female screw holding it on - make sure the rotor is all the way up on shaft, and tight.  Does this fix it?

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »
If the rotor bolt is not tight...get some blue lock tite and put it on the threads. Be sure to get the field serviceable lock tite.  If it is not loose...check the suspension by pushing the spin basket down firmly and releasing quickly. Push the center of the wash plate. Tub should bounce back and stop without a bunch of bouncing around. If it bounces around a bit then you need to replace the suspension rods.