Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ice Forming Under Freezer Drawer in Samsung RF4287HARS French Door Fridge  (Read 18362 times)

Offline annekreel

• VIP Member

I have ice building up in the bottom of the freezer compartment on my Samsung RF4287HARS French Door Refrigerator, below the pull out drawer. It will build up to about 3/4"-1" thick and then impedes the closing of the door. Every 4-6 weeks, I need to remove the freezer drawer, melt and chop the ice and put everything back in. I have been doing this for three years on a 5 year old fridge. Samsung Customer Service is ABSOLUTELY NO HELP.

What causes this? And can I fix it myself?

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Evap drain likely is frozen. check it behind evap panel freezer

Offline mz3own

• Technician
clogged defrost drain. need hot water to melt build up.
Then pull fridge out, remove back cover on the right side you will see two drain tubes remove those and clean them out of dust and debri. Put back together

Offline annekreel

• VIP Member
Domain, the evap drain is inside the freezer behind the drawer, correct?

mz3own, the defrost drain in accessed behind the fridge, correct?

Offline annekreel

• VIP Member
I should add that we replaced the ice maker about 3 months ago. While the old ice maker was broken, the ice did not form in the bottom of the freezer. As soon as we replaced it, the ice started forming again.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
Domain, the evap drain is inside the freezer behind the drawer, correct?

mz3own, the defrost drain in accessed behind the fridge, correct?
the end of it is. But the beginning is accessed from the inside the fridge behind the evap cover. BE CAREFUL removing that cover. It cracks or breaks you will need to buy a new one.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Make sure Ice maker is not over filling, and after harvest all the ice is coming out of tray.  I'm not looking at your exact Icemaker, some you can adjust water level on the Ice maker, some samsungs have a place on control board to set seconds of fill.  The cracker /flex tray style sometimes leaves Ice in bottom.

Make sure the fill tube is in the right centered position.

drain tubes under back of evap getting plugged up, or Ice over.  Clear make sure line is clear and also consider installing a Whirlpool part, number 819043.  Heat strap with a tube insert.  This will keep the drain tube from freezing over.. in most cases.
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Locate a service manual.  Its a must and most have great pictures.   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzIiBNwRIV4NejFjQklEbnhNeE0
 Wish I could find the ones I need this easy..lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 06:34:41 PM by curjones »
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline annekreel

• VIP Member
Locate a service manual.  Its a must and most have great pictures.   https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzIiBNwRIV4NejFjQklEbnhNeE0
 Wish I could find the ones I need this easy..lol

Thanks curjones. That manual is very close to the one I need but shows a newer control panel. Do you happen to know where I can get this one (see photo)? Found one site that has a $9.00 download but was hoping to find it somewhere for free.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 12:06:24 PM by dab147315 »

Offline annekreel

• VIP Member

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
What I like about this site is the help you.can get and it is free. You see what the vaules and cost others charge 9-20 DOLLARs.  and not asking for a anual feee of 150 to download.   The donate button helps AJ run.  I came here because of the free help but I donate when I can.  Kinda like a farm pond I fished at had a honor box fee 1 dollar to fish.
Hope you get the problem fixed. Report back.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
I came here because of the free help but I donate when I can.

Thanks, very much appreciated!

Offline annekreel

• VIP Member
So I did as suggested--took the cover off of the evaporator in the freezer and I didn't find any ice buildup. (Please see photos.) Any suggestions on what to try next?

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Picture does not show the drain, so confirm no Ice in drain.  I have a pot steamer, that I run through those drains, 

If drain is not blocked, then make sure the evaporator is pushed all the way back and secured.   There has been several post post o this same problem and I am going out on a call this week.

The drain trough check make sure it is curved up and toward the front.  I like to set up these refrigerators with a slight tilt backwards, not level.  Helps drain and door closing.

You may want to get some Permagum  rope calk sealer, and make a dam on the front trough (trawf) see if that eliminates the problem.

the only other possibility is out side air causing humidity, excessive door open, door seal, Water tube for Ice maker on back not sealed.

Offline kazreg

• VIP Member
 Thanks for the info curjones, realize this is a 2016 posting but will sure help me tonight and save a few bucks