Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG Washer Leaking During Drain Cycle - Model WM2016CW/01  (Read 689 times)

Offline JumpinJackFlash

• VIP Member
LG Washer Leaking During Drain Cycle - Model WM2016CW/01
« on: June 04, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »

I'm posting this just in case it may help someone else with a similar LG Washer model.

The washer was leaking badly but not until it was draining the tub.   I suspected I would find something around the drain pump, but what I found was a hole in the main drain hose.   At first I thought I might have a crack in the outer plastic tub because that's where the water seemed to be coming from.   This hose connects to the top of the drain pump assembly and is routed straight back to an outlet through the back panel.    Unfortunately, the hose was rubbing against the outer tub.   After 6 or 7 years, all of this contact with the tub wore a hole right through the hose.   And as you technicians know, this is thick, heater hose - the same type used on automobiles.   

When I installed the new hose and ran it back through the back panel, the new hose was touching the tub too.   It seems like a poor design.   I ended up attaching a cable tie mounting block to the side panel and secured the hose with a tie-wrap.    Now the drain hose takes a slight route to the left before bending back to the right and out the back panel, and it no longer contacts the tub.

I searched this issue on this site but found no entries of anyone having the same issue....which surprised me since it seems like it could easily be a common issue.   If it's not, the only thing I can think of is that this particular washer is used at a veterinary hospital and they probably run 10 loads a day - mostly towels and bedding, so this poor washer takes a beating.   Maybe in a couple of years more people will end up with this same scenario, too...?

It was an easy and inexpensive fix, but I have to admit, when I saw the water pouring out of what I thought was the tub, I figured they were looking at a new washer purchase.

I hope this helps someone else in the future.