Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Centennial MVWC350AW1 - tub loud banging on spin - clothes shift  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Cinquefoil

• VIP Member

Tenant just texted me.... On spin cycle, the tub starts banging loudly.  When she cancels and opens the lid, she sees the contents have shifted to one side, despite being carefully loaded.

Fourteen months ago I replaced the shifter assembly on this washer and it has been working fine since.  Machine has not been moved and is level.

Heading over there tomorrow to run diagnostics and look for broken parts.

I am wondering whether you might provide some sage advice on where to look first, second, third....

Thank you.

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
The tub and basket assembly on this washing machine hangs on spring hangers.  If one of these spring hangers wears out, then it puts a strain on the rest of them until the tub leans to one side all the time.  It is recommended that you replace all 4 spring hangers.  On some units they are sold in sets of 4.  You can test the springs by pressing down on the 4 corners of the tub.  They should have equal amount of spring pressure.  Other than that, a less likely cause is that the balance ring on the tub has been damaged and the water has leaked out.  If this is the case, the tub would have to be replaced.  This is a much bigger job.  Please let us know what you find.

Bearcat

Offline Thorning

• Technician
I have seen these spring arrangements on washers  and wondered if they actually wear out as most springs usually break. Is it possible the damper on the one end of the spring assembly is loosing its grip on the suspension rod ? Is there a better grade of assembly available ? If it is necessary to replace one I would replace all 4 of them as a set.

Offline Cinquefoil

• VIP Member
A frustrating day.

She tells me that the banging happens on the spin cycle when doing a Regular or Delicate wash.  Not all the time.  Roughly one in four washes and has happened four times in the past few weeks.  No issues like this in the years she has been here.

Diagnostic mode: No codes saved.  Cleared codes.  Ran Automatic test mode.  Finished without issue.  Checked again, no codes.  Manual test mode.  Same, though for some reason I could not run the manual spin test by itself - the lid-locked light would not come on as I rotated through the options. 

Ran a normal regular wash with a few towels. No issues.  Load finished balanced.

Lifted the top and examined the damper assembly, suspension ball, and suspension bushing on all four corners.  All look and feel tight and identical.

Ran a normal regular wash and a delicate wash with the lid 30-degrees up so I could watch inside.  No issues.

Did Bearcat's press test on all four corners of the tub both empty and half full of water.  All corners seem to have an equal amount of spring pressure.

So five hours of troubleshooting and I can't reproduce the problem or find anything electrically or physically wrong. Still have ten fingers.  I asked her to let me know when it happens again.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
I was just given one of these washers with the same circumstance /noise during a portion of the cycle.  In checking the suspension rods and springs I dont see anything wrong with any of them. Is there a stronger set of these available or a different configuration ?

Offline Bearcat

• Technician
Most of the time, even if it’s not obvious, the spring hangers are the problem.  Replacing them will most likely fix the problem.  I wouldn’t try to reinvent the wheel by changing the spring types, although if you do it successfully, I guess you could start marketing them for sale.

Bearcat

Offline Cinquefoil

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Centennial MVWC350AW1 - tub loud banging on spin - clothes shift
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 12:09:37 AM »
Spring Hangers.  I believe the part name is "Whirlpool Suspension Rod Kit."    I am struggling to identify the Part Number for the Maytag washer model MVWC350AW1.  I keep coming up with near misses like W10780046 replaces  W10110313,  W10110314,  W10404706,  W10485421,  W10748950,  W10821942.

Can anyone point me in the direction of identifying the correct current OEM part number for this machine?

Thank you.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 04:53:15 PM »
The correct kit for that washer is W10780046.  All it takes is for one rod to have slightly less damping action than another and they won't spin without banging.

Offline Cinquefoil

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 11:23:35 PM »
Thank you johnboy3.  Just ordered it.