Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WTW5000DWH Whirlpool adds water during spin cycle. Clothes come out soaked.  (Read 4838 times)

Offline mglover

• VIP Member

This machine came with the new house and is a little over a year old. It has intermittently added water during the spin cycle leaving clothes soaking wet when finished. Even if you select the drain and spin cycle it will pour water, multiple times. Not just a little bit either. It sounds like it's almost filling the machine.

I tried a few searches and didn't come up with much but I did try to clear out the water level hose that connects the bottom of the drum to the control board with no improvement. Any advice? Hope I don't have to swap out the control board.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
Could have an over sudsing problem. Make sure you are using HE detergent. Try running an empty load. After it starts agitating for half a minute or so, briefly push the pause button...less than 1 sec...to unlock the lid. Check to see if you have a lot of suds. If so, run several empty rinse & spin cycles to clear out suds.

If that is not it, you will need to check for error codes in diagnostic cycle..

Offline mglover

• VIP Member
Thank you so much for the reply. Ran a rinse and spin empty cycle and water was 100% clear. I think it had been run once between the last issue and this test though and it ran fine. I put it into diagnostics mode but am having a hard time figuring out what it means. After entering diagnostics and spinning the knob clockwise the only error code I found was the sensing light blinking once, then the spin and done light black blinking together over and over.

I think that means an f5 error? Not positive and also having trouble finding what that means.

Offline mglover

• VIP Member
Just ran an automatic diagnostic cycle, and checked codes again. This time nothing.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Are you still getting a rinse water on just drain and spin?  The older whirlpools had a problem with a temp/ water sensor device on the back of the switch.  Sorry I am not being technical in the exact part name.  But when it failed it would send in the water on final spin. It JUST was wired in the circuit that way and could turn on the water valve.

check your connections on the temp control knob,.  The old switch I am talking about had the sensor in the switch and they may have moved this sensor to the Control board, and in that case you probably have a bad board.

your symptoms are so much like the old problem.   I am searching for some problems on some units, will see if I can find the tech sheet for yours.

You can send boards off to be repaired, or find a re-manufactured one
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
Are you still getting a rinse water on just drain and spin?  The older whirlpools had a problem with a temp/ water sensor device on the back of the switch.  Sorry I am not being technical in the exact part name.  But when it failed it would send in the water on final spin. It JUST was wired in the circuit that way and could turn on the water valve.

check your connections on the temp control knob,.  The old switch I am talking about had the sensor in the switch and they may have moved this sensor to the Control board, and in that case you probably have a bad board.

your symptoms are so much like the old problem.   I am searching for some problems on some units, will see if I can find the tech sheet for yours.

You can send boards off to be repaired, or find a re-manufactured one

You are thinking of an older model. He is working on a VMW.

Offline mglover

• VIP Member
Yea I came across those issues when searching for this error, the switch seems like a normal switch. The hose leading from the bottom of the tub goes up to the control board.

I just ran another wash through and it added water at least twice during the "spin" cycle. It was a "bulky items" mode wash and I've been watching how much water has been draining during the cycle. It's come close to filling up my 19 gallon tub 3 times now! There is no way this machine should be using over 60 gallons of water for a wash is there?

Also ran a drain and spin mode with a full load of dry laundry and it never added water. It seems like I should just try swapping out the control board or get rid of this machine. A 200 dollar board for a 400 dollar machine seems a little crazy, especially if it's not a guarantee to work.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:50:49 AM by mglover »

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
Bulky items selection on that washer will fill the tub completely up so it will use a ton more water than the normal selection. Also the bulky selection will only spin at half speed so it won't get as much water out as a normal or heavy duty cycle.  The same goes for the delicate cycle.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
The unit should not put in any water on final, spin cycle, and I fully understand that this is a VMW.  The older units had what was called a ATC switch, when it failed it did exactly this.  I'm not sure if this VMW has any kind of sensor on the switch (TEMP switch), or if all it does is select, and then all the sensors STUFF is now, has now ,been moved to the control board.

So what was a problem on just a switch  (old units with ATC switch and sensor ) that could be replaced for 50.00 ..... has now been incorporated into the board that cost you 290.00. And their engineering has failed again like the old days.

This is what they also did with some of the water level sensors.  They have a small transducer on the board now (speaking Cabrio and Oasis)  The sensor fails and you have no choice but to get new board, or send out for repairs.

Here is a good test, Get a timer or watch. Start final spin(drain and spin) and note when water is sprayed on  ,( not sure if as I write this they have a timing chart in the tech sheet) {it shows the time water comes on in rinse and spin cycle}  If you get two or three injections at the same time, you have eliminated an intermittent problem, like a loose wire, or weak solenoid opening.

if it does it the same time for same length, the control board is messed up..
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
I agree in theory that the unit should not put water in on the final rinse but you can't know for sure. I've talked to WPL tech line many times and they can't tell me what it is supposed to do and when it is supposed to do it. There is no timing chart as in old machines. Everything is controlled by the computer. I know it will stop a spin and put more water in if it senses extra drag on the tub because of suds. I may also do it if it senses out of balance to try and rearrange the clothes.

If you are not getting error codes and clothes are coming out clean and dry then I would not worry about it.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Baldwin, believe he said they were soaked not dry, and if you prop lid up you can monitor if water is being added in final spin.

and your point is very valid that it may add water if it senses the unbalance..  I really like the point" they don't know for sure how the controls work and when its suppose to do this or that.

the Engineer that designed the control may know..lol but techs don't know the logic of the Board.  When the board , control fails it does what it wants to or not wants to.

I've seen the wet clothes because of pump weak, over fill and suds, but it was not putting in lots of water on final spin..

The old dog, put water in twice, and the last time was about 10 sec for the last minutes.  Like it was in Rinse not final spin.

I spent several hours watching that one trying to figure it out..  This is my sixth sense, feeling, and I may not be able to prove it or explain it,, it just is.    The key being IT should NOT DUMP in lots of water at end of final spin.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
There is also a calibration mode on this to help set water limits, should find that in tech sheet.  I reviewed what Baldwin inputed (agreeing) and you need to select lowest water level, if its putting in more water than, lets say a small level, then the water level switch, on the board is not working.  Calibration may solve it..  Don't stop the calibration, it takes awhile to do it on some machines it seems like eternity.

Like Balwin said, at the start of a spin cycle the unit may put in some water, to balance load.

I have found refurbished boards for 1/2 price and they come with a 6 month warranty.