Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Washer Model MVWC500VW just hums; won't spin, pump water out, or agitate  (Read 693 times)

Offline thornton49

• VIP Member

Hi:  I have a Maytag Washer Model MVWC500VW that just hums; it won't spin, pump water out or agitate.  I replaced the motor, but the problem remains.  I've checked the water pump and it's clear; also moves freely in both directions.  The capacitor seems to check out on my ohm meter, but I'm not 1005 sure I'm reading it correctly.  Any suggestions?

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Maybe the hum is coming from the drain pump and it isn't spinning when powered

Offline anerepair

• Technician
Set timer to spin and check vac at timer, bu to w/bk.  Also check rd to yl.  This is vac to your motor, run and start windings.  If it hums but wont start you probably have a problem with the start circuit, so you are talking timer, motor or capacitor.  If you have 120 vac on both of these combinations you can check at motor from rd on motor itself to each side of the cap, you should see 120 vac on each but if you have 0 vac on one end you have a bad cap, this is assuming you have 120 vac out of timer rd to yl.  Let us know your readings when you get a chance.