Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Kenmore fridge 253.63462302 - leaks water from freezer to fridge on defrost  (Read 837 times)

Offline jack6128

• VIP Member

The leaking problem is being caused by ice forming in the plastic duct that carries cold air from the freezer to the fridge compartment. When the unit kicks into defrost mode this ice melts and drips into the fridge. I know this because I too the duct out and there was ice inside of it. When I removed the duct, there was still air flow, it was not entirely clogged.

Let me stress that this problem is NOT caused by ice forming in the drain pipe from the freezer to the collection/evaporation pan at the bottom.

The duct is formed by the sheet metal panel that comprises the back wall of the freezer and a shallow curved plastic piece. I tried putting some closed cell plastic foam sheeting between the evaporator coils and the sheet metal back wall, hoping to drop the temperature of that portion of the sheet metal that forms the duct, but this did not help. I can only guess that moist air is getting into the refrigerator. Or possibly that the unit is designed to drain water that melts inside the freezer to fridge duct and that system is clogged. The fridge belongs to a neighbor that I am trying to help out. I would like to go back armed with some possible solutions, but there is not much available on the net for this specific unit, so I brought the problem here, hoping to tap the experience of some readers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jack

Offline BryanS

• Technician
  • Refrigeration specialty
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
The assembly with the thermostat in the fresh food needs removed to check the drain hole in the assembly.  Then flush the drain hole in the back wall to verify the drain is clear.  If you had a moisture problem freezing up the duct, you need to verify all the seals are sealing. Also Frigidaire had some moisture issues from the gaskets allowing air insidr, but that mainly causes buildup of ice on the back freezer wall.  The fix was to remove the gasket and apply rtv to inner lip of the door, not in the gasket channel itself.  Sometimes both gaskets need to be done.

Offline jack6128

• VIP Member
Thanks, Brian. I was able to see the tube that drains water from the assembly entering the back wall of the fridge compartment. Waiting for neighbor to give the go-ahead to fix it. The gaskets looked like they are sealing perfectly, so there must be a blockage in the drain tube somewhere.

mike243

Remove the control panel and take a peice of foil tape and put it into fill cup and ove to the foam to make sure the water goes into the cup instead of the air cbanel.silcone will work but tape will hold the plastic in the correct positon better

Offline jack6128

• VIP Member
Remove the control panel and take a peice of foil tape and put it into fill cup and ove to the foam to make sure the water goes into the cup instead of the air cbanel.silcone will work but tape will hold the plastic in the correct positon better

huh?

Offline deekin

• Technician

mike243

Looks like I need to not post while doing other things on my phone  :embarassed: . still pull the thermostat housing down,it has the fill cup for the drain made onto it at the end,there is a foam bracket next to it,the divider is where the water is getting into the fridge,seal it some how with foil tape being what I use

mike243

I got pictures if you dont understand? let me know

Kenmore Fridge 25368832792 defrost prob

Started by marhari

Replies: 3
Views: 5392
Last post October 23, 2008, 05:31:24 PM
by Repair-man
kenmore side by side fridge,water dripping regularly from water dipencer

Started by kambogs

Replies: 4
Views: 5287
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:55:50 AM
by kambogs
Whirlpool fridge freezer, defrost timer location

Started by cahornsey

Replies: 6
Views: 21620
Last post July 27, 2009, 08:30:44 PM
by JWWebster
kenmore top freezer/fridge not cooling at all!

Started by romanowski72

Replies: 6
Views: 4626
Last post February 05, 2012, 04:02:54 PM
by romanowski72
Kenmore (Maytag Amana) Fridge flooding water out dispenser

Started by rego

Replies: 12
Views: 7194
Last post December 02, 2012, 08:42:24 AM
by rego
My customer's 5 year-old Haier fridge drain pan overflow with defrost water