Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW  (Read 4425 times)

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

I have received excellent help from this forum in the past and so I am coming with another problem.

I bought our Neptune washer and dryer in September of 1999.  I know that the MAH4000 washers have not been without their problems.  The one main problem that I had early on was with the wax motor for locking the door going and it burned out a resistor on the main board.  I got some help and replaced a transistor and the resistor and the wax motor and put a fuse in it as well.  Since then I never had another problem.  At one point we had some noise on the spin cycle back in 2012 and actually did a post here but the noise went away and the washer continued to work well.  Just last week my wife said that the washer would not spin out properly and it maid this loud noise as it tried to spin.  I knew that these washers were notorious for the main tub bearings getting water in them and the bearings going bad.  For preparation I watched a bunch of YouTube  videos on replacing them and figured I could do the job.  Today when I finally had time to look at it with it being a holiday I now wonder if it is not the motor instead of the bearings on the tub.  I did not find any where where it looked like rusty water had been leaking around the bearings.  I did 4 videos.  One is with the belt on so the tub is spinning.  Two more are with the belt off and just the motor spinning and the last is me turning the tub by hand without the belt on.  I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this and what the true problem may be.  The motor seems to make a lot of noise to me.

One thing that I would note, the tub spins by hand but it seems to be stiff.  Is that normal?

Back in May of 2012 I got some excellent help here on the dryer and it turned out that the motor was gone on the dryer.  I replaced that and the 2 rollers and it has continued to work without a hitch.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rob

Videos are here
https://youtu.be/hFOm1TLd0LU
https://youtu.be/XcWi8o0JYfk
https://youtu.be/qkQdh3xgU5k
https://youtu.be/WwpO6-hbaCc

Offline deekin

• Technician
Re: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »
Would sound like a motor in vid 1&2, was the drain pump unplugged?

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »
No the drain pump was plugged in.  Here is another video with the drain pump unplugged and the motor with the belt hooked up to the tub.

https://youtu.be/fu3ZUnJZcAg

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:51:29 PM »
I had a kit for this washer to update the front part with a new washer door boot which had a drain in it along with a front door upgrade and it even came with a new washer electronic control board and a new wax motor.  I figured this was a great time to install these as well.  When I pulled things apart and took of the washer tub cover with the boot I could not believe my eyes.  The inside was pretty gross looking!  We do not use any bleach in our wash since we have a septic tank etc.  All I can guess is this is why we have this build up of soap scum and whatever else this stuff is.  I took off the 3 drip baffles to get to the 4 nuts so that I could remove the inner tub from the washer spinner support and I am glad I did.  I will be cleaning this all up.  then my mind went to the pump and what it may have in it.

See the pics below and in the next couple of posts.  I look forward to others letting me know what they think about whether it is the main tub bearings that are going or if it is the motor.

Thanks again.

Rob

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 11:54:37 PM »
Here are a couple more pictures from the teardown.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 11:55:56 PM »
Here are the last of them.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
I just wanted to make one more bump to this thread since I only saw one response which thought that I should just replace the motor.  Is that the consensus of all?

Thanks for the follow up.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
replace the motor.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 07:41:23 PM »
Replace the motor .   Was a no brainer when the motor was running with no load attached.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 06:10:28 PM »
How did you make out with this washer?

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »
I'm actually putting it all back together tonight.  It really took some work to clean it up being that it has 17 years of soap and hard water use.  Vinegar was my friend in cleaning it all up.  I found a used motor on Ebay that the guy said it works so I went with it instead of replacing with a new motor and now motor control board since they do not make this motor anymore.  I also found the seal for the bearings was shot and decided that I would replace the bearings so I have done that as well.  I bought a timken made in the USA bearing.  That was some work in itself.  The inner tub looks brand new from what it looked like when I pulled it all apart.  The hose that sits in the bottom for determining the water level was totally filled with garbage.  The hose on top which the water gets pumped through from one of the pumps was totally filled.  The hose on the bottom was filled with junk.  Again good old vinegar cleaned them out completely.  In some cases I even had some chemical reactions going on.  So it was good to do all of this.  Maybe I can get another 10 to 15 years out of it.  I hope to have it up and running tonight.  That is my goal.  Thanks to all for the input.  I will post again to let you know it is running or if I still have a motor problem.  I will also put up some more pictures.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 10:46:25 PM »
I have a follow up and am looking for some further help.  As I noted in my last post I put everything back together again.  I purchased on EBay a used motor same model etc that was suppose to check out.  I received it and put it in and it would not even turn, just make an action like it wanted to turn.  Then I purchased another used motor, same exact model off of EBay.  This motor was loud but it would agitate properly and yet it would not spin.  I even hooked the washer back up with water and all and had it go through a whole cycle without cloths and it agitated properly through the wash and through the rinse put water in and pumped it out etc all as it should but when it came to the spin cycle it will not spin.  It continues to agitate and then it properly shuts down and with the end of wash signal turned on it beeps at you when it is done.  Then I said OK I will spend the money and buy the new motor with the motor control board and the kit.  I did that today.  I put in the new motor control board with the new motor.  Turned it on and it agitates properly.  The motor is wisper quiet.  However guess what it still will not spin!  I have the complete service manual and don't have the time tonight to try and go through and trouble shoot everything.  I also have a new main system board in a box which I have never touched.  I am thinking to put that in to see if that takes care of the no spin problem.  If anyone has any thoughts on my problem I would greatly appreciate any input from your knowledge and wisdom regarding why I am not getting a spin.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:55 PM »
I just thought of another thing to note.  The door lock light comes on so I am assuming the wax motor is working properly.  I replaced it many years ago when I did the repair on the main board for R11 and the triac.  I also put a fuse on the wax motor so that it would blow the fuse before it burned the R11 resistor.  But again the door lock light comes on and goes off normally.

could the timer be a problem?  I have the manual and will look at some of the trouble shooting in it to see if I can find what the problem may be.  As I said I have a brand new main board and a brand new wax motor as well.

Thanks again

Rob

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 03:28:17 PM »
I followed the trouble shooting guide from the service manual and also from the document that is stored in the washer behind the pressure switch.  Everything pointed to replacing the Machine Control Board.  The wax motor worked perfectly and all the switches were working properly and I had continuity all the way back to P7 on the Machine Control Board. This was strange to me because before I took it apart it would still spin with the old motor without cloths in it.  I am wondering if the first used motor I put in it damaged the board in some way.  Thankfully I had a brand new board that is probably close to 15 years old that was sent to me by Maytag at the time for me to do all the recall fixes.  I put in the new Machine Control Board and now it works like a champ.

New Motor and new motor control board with the kit along with a new Machine Control Board and a new set of bearings and cleaning the complete unit out and everything is back to working again.  Of course there was lots of labor but I was not paying anyone to do it thankfully. My family is very happy to have a washer in the house working again.

I added some pictures of pulling the inner drum and the bearing seal and also the bearings.  I figured while I have it all apart I might as well change the bearings.  They have been in there for just about 17 years.

Rob
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:30:22 PM by robpmorrison »

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 03:33:46 PM »
Here are some more pictures.  I was able to clean up completely using vinegar all the hoses and everything else.  This is like a new machine in many ways.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »
Great Job!! I have the same machine. I had to have the lock and board replaced in first year. No trouble since but I look for it to start giving trouble one of these days. I am surprised it has lasted as long as it has to be honest. I have always used mostly powder detergent, now and then a liquid but not much. Did you use powder or liquid in yours? I also use bleach and I have a septic tank. It won't hurt it no more bleach than you use in the washer. I have never had a problem with it so far.(septic) and it is 40 yrs old.

Again great Job. Don't think I could handle doing all that to mine.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 09:53:20 AM »
Very nice job cleaning that stainless steel drum. O0

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »
Great Job!! I have the same machine. I had to have the lock and board replaced in first year. No trouble since but I look for it to start giving trouble one of these days. I am surprised it has lasted as long as it has to be honest. I have always used mostly powder detergent, now and then a liquid but not much. Did you use powder or liquid in yours? I also use bleach and I have a septic tank. It won't hurt it no more bleach than you use in the washer. I have never had a problem with it so far.(septic) and it is 40 yrs old.

Again great Job. Don't think I could handle doing all that to mine.

Thanks.  We have only used powder as I can remember and we use Amways SA8.  Our septic is over 22 y/o.  We have had no problem but we pump it every 3 years and every time they come and pump it they say it looks very good.  We use occasional bleach but it is very rare.  My wife uses vinegar and sometimes thieves in the wash.

If I would have had to pay for the labor I would have bought a new machine.  As it is I put about $350 into it with bearings and new hoses and new motor and motor control board.  I could have saved about $100 if I could have waited for the motor but I could not make us wait another week so I spent the money from a local supplier for the motor and motor control board.  It was a lot of work and if I did not know it as well before I know the thing intimately now.

Rob

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »
Very nice job cleaning that stainless steel drum. O0

Thanks, I used my 4 and1/2" grinder with material like a brillow pad.  It was not easy but it took the stuff off.  If I would have had a tub big enough to soake it in I would have soaked it in vinegar for a couple of days and then I think that the stuff would have just come right off.

The nice thing now is that it is almost like a brand new machine.  It is all clean with a new boot and new motor and motor control board, a new main control board, new bearings and everything has been cleaned.  My wife likes how well it spins out the cloths now too.  Hopefully I can get another 17 years out of it.  I am thinking that in 5 years I may pull it apart and change out the seals on the bearings and give it a clean up and it will probably do better.  So we will see in 5 years.

A couple of years ago I had to change out the motor in the dryer and replaced the roller bearings there as well.  So we should be set for the washer and dryer for a few more years Lord willing.

Rob