Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet WFW87HEDW0 Pump runs non stop and control panel is dead  (Read 12168 times)

Offline Joeyfresh

• Technician

Hello All-

Came across this problem today and have no clue what's going on... According to customer, the wife ran the unit and when she went downstairs to check on the washer it was trying to drain and the panel was off. When I got there today, the pump just kept trying to run even though the unit was empty (no water). I was able to read the service manual on how to put it into service mode but it wouldn't go into service mode at all. Panel was dead. I managed to get the door open, manually. I checked the pump to see if there were any obstructions, but nothing. I checked the tub portion where the water pressure switch hose connects, cleared some gunk but nothing serious. I tried to remove the front panel and couldn't get the darn thing to come off! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Offline srm

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Duet WFW87HEDW0 Pump runs non stop and control panel is dead
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »
Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your machine? Ours did the exact same thing...

Offline baldwinappliance

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 09:59:22 PM »
Had one that did that because city shut water off. Unit tried to fill and timed out so it goes into emergency pump out mode for 5 minutes. Cust never waited long enough and unplugged. They plugged it back in a few times but would always unplug before that 5 minute mark and it would reset the countdown.

Offline anerepair

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »
Baldwin, did the pump eventually time out with unit working normally after?  I have had bunch of these going into pump out when started with out a water supply.  It seems like once it times out it will work normally, but sometimes it seems to just run forever.  I may just be impatient though.  What did yours do once you let the pump for an extended period of time? 

Offline srm

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »
I let it run for 5 minutes and the pump didn't reset....then the repairman came and said it has to run for around 9-10 minutes in order to reset. Sure enough, after letting the pump run for 10 minutes it reset and the control board came back to life. So frustrating....This should be something Whirlpool puts in the manual. The repairman said it's a very common problem. But it's not anywhere in the manual or the troubleshooting guide, etc.

Offline anerepair

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 01:02:40 PM »
10 minutes is a useful bit of info.  Thank you for that.  I would normally give up on resetting after 5 mins, 10 mins of constant running is an eternity in the field. 

Offline DIYamateur!

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »
Thank you! Thank you! This post saved me a lot of time and $$. I turned off the hot water to my utility sink because it was leaking and didn't realize the washer was hooked up too. So when my husband tried to do a batch of laundry it resulted in this problem—pump running and control panel dead. before reading this post I was afraid to let it run that long thinking we would burn out something.

As it turns out . . . it took about 7 minutes for my machine to reset. Now it works perfectly. Rarely post in these things but this was so worth it.

Thanks again!

Offline aprilw1210

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »
You saved me purchasing a new washing machine!!!! Our drain hose came disconnected, had a pretty major leak (Now we are installing a pan underneath), then our control panel wouldn't work. So frustrating. Hours of time on YouTube, then I miraculously come across this forum and it saved us. I never would have allowed the pump to run for 10 min., thinking it would burn out, but you know what your talking about!!!! Thank you. After exactly 9 minutes, the pump stopped running. We waiting a few more minutes to be sure, pushed the power button, "BAM". Control panel as normal. Shame on Whirlpool for not adding this simple reset to their instructions! Obviously they just want people to throw out the unit or buy new!!

Offline duse

• VIP Member
Just had to register to give a big THANK YOU for this thread.throwing a few codes cleaned the filter then got another code saying something about  pressure switch,then had to manually unlock the door.Rhen it just wouldent run and while I was under there I realized the pump was hot to the touch so I pulled it off and found a safety pin wedged in the impeller.Pulled it out with 10" needle nose pliers and checked to see that the impeller turned freely.Put it all back together and nothing worked except the pump kept running. was about to order a pump then I found this thread . Took just abourt 10 minutes .SOOOOOO HAPPY NOW :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: