Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: BryanS(appliantology.org)  (Read 14419 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: BryanS(appliantology.org)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »

Did I link it correctly?   
Yep, you got it.
 O0

Offline BryanS

• Technician
  • Refrigeration specialty
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 08:24:27 PM »
Cool thanks.  Samurai's way to link on mobile was lengthy,  which is why I never did it.  He did make it easier with the recent update though.  This one was easy.  I do everything from mobile.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:43 PM »
I try to keep things simple. It don't always work out, but I try. :)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 09:11:40 PM »
What do you have for mobile devices? Table, Phone?

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 09:19:09 PM »
Smartphone. I have a tablet as well, but I mainly access from my smartphone.  Especially,  during lunch or breaks throughout the day.  I have a laptop if I need it as well.  Btw those guys on the other forum had a voxer group as well.  Basically,  you could page other techs as a group if you needed help on the spot.  They tried to get me on it, which I did for a little bit, but I was to busy for it. Plus  It was hard to keep up with the topics because some were on it so much I wondered if they even worked lol..  If people are interested,  we could probably start something like that here too.  You don't have to talk either,  you can type. 

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »
BryanS, feel free to start a new topic in the tech-only P.A.R.T. board about a group for texting if you want to see if there would be any interest in such a group. I would probably be to busy, but maybe others would be interested.

What kind of smart phone you have? One with a larger screen?

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2016, 09:37:20 PM »
Yes, Samsung Note 2.  I need to upgrade but I'm enjoying my 15% discount for not upgrading atm.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
Nice, I been bouncing back and forth between Samsung and iPhones.
Purchased a couple Samsung Galaxy S5's when they first come out for my son and I.
His screen cracked on his last year and he did not want to go back to iphone so I gave him my S5 and then purchased a new Iphone 6 for myself.
One thing I miss about my Samsung S5 is the screen, it was awesome!

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
My first smart phone was an HTC and it sucked.  Then I had a droid razr max.  Broke it in no time.  I went with the note 2 andan otterbox.  My job bought us htc desires for our dispatch.  I'm not impressed.   I can't even find an otterbox for it and had to buy some cheap $12 case.

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2016, 07:41:39 PM »
http://appliantology.org/topic/57006-adios-bryans/

Here it is folks.  Look how evil and worthless I am.  Whoever ran and cried to daddy I was badmouthing him, well here some more for you( Spannerwrench?)  First off, I don't give bad advice, I give practical advice.  Do you really need dielectric grease in a wire nut? No, I worked on portable diesel generators and a plethora of other equipment in the Air Force that sat out in the rain all year long.  Electrical isn't new me.  A good electric tape is plenty of protection for a residential fridge application.  Is that bad advice? I'll leave that up to a matter of opinion.  As for compressor relays.  I only use 8201786 and 4687535 for every single compressor out there.  They had a technician who traveled distances and wanted to know what would be good to carry so he could complete his trip the first time.  A few members there made a huge stink about how using the wrong overload is a lawsuit waiting to happen blah blah.  Bad advice? Still an opinion.  The compressors do not vary much in btu's and amp draw by that much that it would be a problem in my eyes.  Let me tell you the guys I worked with at Sears used those exact kits for a long time and never once heard of a lawsuit from an incorrect overload burning down a house.  Did i give bad advice or incorrect advice on an occasion?  Perhaps because I also tried to help others on appliances my experience was limited on.  The reason for that is because they were ignored many times and went unanswered.  In fact, the few times I did ask questions, I rarely if ever got a response and ended up answering the question myself.  As for the minuscule amount I paid according to the Samurai, refers to the LIFETIME membership I paid for, which he changed the privileges numerous times.  I became an appliantology fellow rank at 1000 posts and I was told our dues were paid with knowledge by member contributions.  Which I did, so I did not pay any dues. And Spannerwrench never made any real contributions that I ever seen even though he had 1000 posts. 

Durham said I showed an utter lack of how inverters work on a compressor.  I did? 120 vac and 3-6 vdc is required to the inverter.  I showed an utter lack of knowing how inverters work because I did not know the builtin GE sends 120v direct from the power supply and not the main control board.  First off, the technician who posted the question was not even receiving the proper DC signal, which did come from the board.  He also stated that the inverter had a burn.  I said he needed to replace the inverter and the main board.  The 120v issue was brought up by the OP(which it had 120v) not me, but then they jumped me when i questioned the 120v coming from the house voltage.  It was asked because I was curious.  Then I was blasted about not using the schematic nor knowing how to read one.  Why would I bring up a schematic for a fridge that isn't my call and the parts that failed have already been addressed.  You know as a technician, you do need to do some of your own leg work and read the schematic yourself if you aren't getting 120v to the inverter.  Not to mention Durham, also had a habit of of talking down to other technicians who did not do the proper leg work and wanted the easy way out.  Personally, I didn't care and just answered their questions. 

Applianceman97 I never had any beef with and liked him as well as Durham.  I made the statement I did because he came out of nowhere and was made a staff member with about 200-300 posts at the time. 

Spannerwrench just kind of came around once in a blue moon so I never had any qualms with until he started running his mouth now.  I didn't take the fundamentals course because I did not feel it was presented well enough that I needed it.  Everything I read on the curriculum I knew.  I was actually going to signup for to see if it was worth our delivery guys in training to use.  Bro I started out in this industry at Sears running 8-12 calls a day and still maintained a 6-9% recall rate from day one.  And most of those recalls were bogus because we would get a recall if someone went back to do a preventative maintenance check the customer never mentioned.  Not to mention the many manufacturer defects that was an engineering problem, not a diagnosing problem.  I was also 8th out of 31 fridge techs in profit per call at 2 years on the job.  Top 3 were not techs but PM checkers, so technically I was 5th.  The company I work for now, Ill be lucky if I run maybe 1-3 recalls a month on myself.  Don't try to belittle me because I am a very skilled technician for only doing this for a little under 4 years.  I was specialized in refrigeration and I can promise you I can diagnose circles around you on any refrigerator.  I've barely had any training on the other appliances and I've been working on everything for 6 months now.  Most I figure out on the job on my own.  Like I said this dude wasn't even that active when I was really posting a lot and helping people.  What he saw was the end where I basically had enough. I also won 2 customer service awards in 2 years at Sears for ranking top 5 in the region for customer satisfaction.  I ran many recalls on many technicians over the years and I always followed up with then to explain and mentor them on what they did wrong.  I also had technicians on many occasions at Sears call me instead of the mentors when they needed help.  Don't act like you know anything about me.

I do not have an issue with you Samurai.  What I have an issue with is being ignored.  You have a warning point system you never used and just took stuff away on a whim.  You have a great forum or I wouldn't have stayed so long.  Don't sit here and act like I never made any real contributions because I know and you know full well I have.  You didn't make any effort to show appreciation, so I didn't show any appreciation.  It's a two way street.  Also I've heard many stories of you privately messaging others who have left about you insulting/ name calling.  That doesn't sound like a professional to me.  Like I said," If you have a problem with me, just say it."  Which you actually made my new title, which was petty to say the least.  All you had to do was talk to me and work things out. Instead you just kept taking privileges away.  Now you restricted me to posting, so I cannot defend myself.  This post was never originally meant to badmouth you, but to let members from your page that are also members here where I was.  Believe me some of your members have personally messaged when I participated in your forum to ask me questions directly on refrigeration. 

Let me explain something to everyone here.  I do not believe anyone is stupid for asking questions.  I for one, am all about learning more, if I wasn't I would not be the technician I am today because Sears surely did not prepare me well enough for that.  I meant no disrespect to anyone when I said I don't ask questions because I know what I am doing.  Many times I answer questions on the fly during work or breaks etc, so sometimes I may be brief or I comment thinking it was a model that it wasn't.  I'm not going to look up every manual, schematic, training cd on every single post in between calls.  I try to answer fast because I have been that technician stuck on a job and I needed a fast answer.  AJ if this post will cause any problems go ahead and move or remove whatever you need to do.  Also you know by now if you have an issue with anything I post or do to go ahead and message me.  I'm here to help where I can and If I learn something along the way then so be it. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 07:56:07 PM by BryanS »

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »
And for those who don't know my background.  I served as an aerospace ground equipment journeyman for 5 years in the Air Force.  We maintained, serviced, and dispatched diesel generators, portable heaters, portable AC, self generating nitrogen carts, hydraulic test stands, jacks, maintenance stands, manlifts, gas turbine engines(jet engines that produced bleed air for the aircraft), bomb-lifts, etc.  After getting out of the Air Force I attended a one year technical school for heating and ac(HVAC).  I also took 2 of the 4 levels of an apprenticeship course for HVAC( I was to broke to finish at $1300 a class and the GI Bill wouldn't cover it). My first tech school had a dual enrollment program, so I finished my associates degree in Applied Science for HVAC. I was enrolled in alternative energy, small business, and plumbing which I finished a semester, then I was hired on at Sears for refrigeration and water heat/treat repair.  I was not happy with them after 2.5 years, and I now work for a small business.  Which I have been at for almost 2 years as their primary refrigeration technician and sealed system repair tech.  If I didn't know what I was doing, I wouldn't be here.  Oh and I was also a student worker ( maintenance technician) while taking my alternative energy classes.  You can click my Facebook link.  It is all right there :) I think Ive accomplished plenty for someone turning 31 next month.   

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2016, 08:24:08 PM »
Thank you for your service and Happy Birthday!, (just incase I forget to say it next month).
Oh what I would give to be 31 again.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:38 PM »
and congrats on all you have accomplished in such a short time. Wish I could say the same.
I was very close to joining the Air Force after graduating high school. But that was a long time ago now and here I'am today.

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2016, 08:27:13 PM »
Your welcome and thanks.  I haven't quite accomplished what I had planned by this point in my life, but it was a tough job market when I got out of the Air Force plus jobs are somewhat hard to come by in West Virginia because many come from out of state to work in thia area.  I did just send in my truck payoff and now to house hunt.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:27:41 PM by BryanS »

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:59 PM »
BryanS,   Welcome.    I have been at this business for over 42 years presently.     I still learn something new almost every day.    You are right about the relays.    I always keep 2 of the 1786 relays on the truck.    Great because you can get 3 repairs out of the one box.    I enjoy helping people as you do.    I have checked out that appliantoligy sight a couple of times,   but I agree with you seems like he's more interested in stretching his own bank account than helping people with their problems.   

I love this sight,   been on here for at about 8 years.    So much good information on this sight and many, many knowledgeable techs.      AJ runs a great sight here,    and again glad your joining us.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »
Thanks.  O0

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2016, 08:09:04 PM »
man let me tell you his old lady banned me cause i told then that to download a topic it was taking two hours.It started when they wanted more and more money a life time member could no longer down load topic except one or two a month unless you paid more.Their organization has gone to the dogs especially when a women, a geety one gets involved. Its all about the money with them. They were very hard to comunicate with from the very start go.Two hours two hours i cannot believe this. I have never taken more then a minuet anywhere elese. They really butter their story to get you to join once their well now you know the rest.

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
 :rofl:   Yea after one update it took forever to download and didn't work on some files.  I rarely downloaded anything,  I just did a few trial downloads here and there after the rank was changed again and again.

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
yea he could really learn from AJ. I mean every bit of it. i AM ALSO A VIETNAM VET AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE HOMBRE

Offline BryanS

• Technician
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »
Thank you as well. :cheers: