Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Maytag PYE3300AYW Weak Motor?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline 66ford

• VIP Member
Maytag PYE3300AYW Weak Motor?
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:21:54 PM »

Maytag dryer PYE3300AYW, it will run with nothing in it, with a load it will run for a minute sometimes, or wont run at all. Have'nt pulled it out yet, but it sounds like the motor is going, just not completely dead. Any other input, worth fixing? Thanks

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag PYE3300AYW Weak Motor?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:06:52 PM »
Happens all the time with those older Maytag motors, Bearings are worn and bind up. Last time I checked those motors to replace are up there in price. $130.++++

Unless it is sentimental I'd replace the dryer - otherwise let the customer decide if they want a new motor installed for the cost plus parts.

Offline Thorning

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:00 AM »
Sometimes when I find a dryer that will not turn the drum I also look at extra drag on the drum like worn or binding support bearings. These will cause the motor to not be able to start the drum turning. There is a difference in the motor HP on some of the dryers in that some are 1/3 HP and some are 1/4 HP. I dont know if the higher HP one has greater starting torque or not. Also some of the old units had a pretty heavy drum that would add to the load when it was full of wet clothes. If a motor is unable to start the drum turning it is usually too expensive to replace with a new one. I just sold one yesterday that was model LDE5004RCW which originally had a motor with a bound up rotor. I took the motor out and used penetrating oil to free up the bearings by repeatedly squirting that oil in each end with the motor standing on end. With the motor shaft in a vise after several applications and the motor in a vertical plane it eventually turned freely. Blowing out the penetrating oil and using  3in1 oil I was able to get it turning OK. All extra oil must be blown out lest the motor overheat and fail to turn the drum. A little risk involved .It is fairly easy to get the motor out of a dryer like an old Maytag with the blower wheel held on the shaft with a retaining ring and spring clip but I find most of them are loose on the shaft, The ones that have a screw on blower wheel are usually a throw away situation since a blower wheel and motor are too expensive to repair. A used dryer is worth $100 when it is clean and in working condition. Replacing a motor, a timer, or a heating element(electric unit) make it too expensive to repair.

Offline 66ford

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 09:19:27 AM »
Thanks, that's what I figured, its been a good dryer, and a motor was 130-160, Some one gave me a whirlpool in nice shape a couple years old, it will work in the meantime.