Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Need Advice on repair or replace: Frigidaire LGEF3033KWC  (Read 1551 times)

Offline 05r50

• VIP Member
Need Advice on repair or replace: Frigidaire LGEF3033KWC
« on: January 02, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »

First post. Glad I found this site.

I have a Frigidaire gallery model LGEF3033KWC range that is not heating properly. Purchased Dec 2010 from Lowes.

The symptom is that when preheating to say 350 the oven will beep ready but the internal thermometer dial (from the grocery store) says that the oven is say 175. Then while baking and the oven is set for 350, the dial from the thermometer will jump to maybe 450.

Checking sites like this and others I have run Ohm meter tests on the internal temp probe and the internal covered bake element. Both have responded back with Ohm readings within range for those parts.

According to the Lowes appliance rep if those parts are ok then it is probably the control board and given it is 5 years old, time to buy a new stove.

Looking for validation of my findings or even better, a better diagnosis of what is actually wrong?

On a side note, my wife lined the bottom of the stove for Thanksgiving cooking with alum foil even though the stove has a hidden bake element. It was the first time she ever bothered to do that and it completely melted the alum. foil to the bottom tray of the stove. That is why we started looking at something being wrong. (Later I checked the owners manual and saw where it said not to line the bottom with foil.)

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Need Advice on repair or replace: Frigidaire LGEF3033KWC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:56:16 PM »
Sounds like everything is ok.those store bought thermometers are decently accurate but they read SLOW. SET THAT THING TO 350 and give it 30 minutes, place in the middle of cavity. Dont open the door or anything. I bet its much closer.

Offline 05r50

• VIP Member
Re: Need Advice on repair or replace: Frigidaire LGEF3033KWC
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 07:14:22 AM »
Thanks for the response. While the handheld unit may be suspect, the oven temp is fluctuating. We are seeing things take longer to cook when at the same setting we have always used or items be overdone for leaving them in for the normal time and they are burnt.

This stove has always been very predictable. It always takes 13 minutes to pre-heat regardless of temp setting. Still takes 13 minutes but now the temp is not reliable.

I guess one of my questions is if it is normal to have stoves fail at 5 years?  Or is what is the expected life span of an appliance today?

It's not like you don't see grandma still using 30 year old appliances without fail but new stuff is more costly and built to be disposable.