Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Whirlpool Duet with F06 code  (Read 3247 times)

Offline yawning_dog

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Duet with F06 code
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »

Hi, I'm stumped on a problem with my Duet washer- I'm hoping someone might be able to help.  I am getting the F6 code no matter what I try.  The washer model number is GHW9150PW1.   I'm hopeful that someone might be able to tell me what's wrong with my MCU board- what component(s) typically fail on this board?  Here's what I've tried:

*  I have two MCU boards:  the original and one that I got from Ebay that allegedly came from a washer with bad bearings
*  I have two motors:  the original and one I got from another washer that had an unrelated problem.
*  Any combination of motor/MCU I try gives the F6 code
*  Both boards appear to be visually okay- no burnt spots, board residue etc. The big caps look okay without bulges and the output FETs under the heat sink appear to be okay as well (I only checked these on the original board
*  The motors both appear to have 6 ohms across their windings and also the expected value across the other two RPM leads. I checked this through the harness to ensure that the harness was good.
*  The F6 code gets thrown in diagnostic mode as well at the third step I think
*  I've removed the three blue wire harness that connects the MCU to the CCU and I get the F11 code as expected. So it appears that the two boards are at least talking when the blue wiring harness is attached.  I've also bent the harness connector contacts to ensure a snug fit on the board

Any ideas?

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Whirlpool Duet with F06 code
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »
When does the f6 code show up?

Seems like it is  usually caused by the motor or MCU. It also seems some people have seen this error on machines that didn't drain properly.

There should be a tech sheet In the washer with more detailed testing methods.

I would be Leary of used parts bought off eBay. I always buy new. Buy from repairclinic.com or appliancepartspros.com and you can return the part even if you plugged it in within 365 days.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline yawning_dog

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the response!  Yea, the advice about Ebay is probably good.  I kinda roll the dice with that most of the time.

I also checked the drain cleanout and it's clear.  And the water has no flow issues that I can tell (I have it draining to a sink right now and it shoots out nicely).

Regarding the F6, it's immediate.  When I press start the following happens:

1)  Door solenoid (lock?) clicks and the water starts.  This only happens for about 1 second.
2)  Water stops
3)  I think another lock click and the water starts
4)  At this point, it used to start agitating the drum but now it doesn't and the water stops & the timer starts blinking
5)  step #4 is repeated about 3 times and then it starts beeping, flashing the F06, and the drain cycle starts

Assuming there's a problem with the MCU board, does anyone know what specific component(s) fail?

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 11:39:15 PM »
If you can find the tech sheet in the washer, that would be great. I can't find it here. Its gonna have some tests you can do.
You could always order a new motor and MCU and return the one that doesn't solve the problem.
How old is this machine? Is it in good shape overall? You can turn thevbtub manually?

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 12:00:14 AM »
I believe this is the tech sheet for your washer.

Offline yawning_dog

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 01:31:58 PM »
Thanks  for the service manual!  I had actually already dug that out of the bottom of the washer and it enabled me to run the diagnostic mode (to no avail).   

Oh, and yes, the tub and the motor all rotate nicely and the belt appears to be in good shape.  I really think there's an MCU board failure but I just don't know what to look for on the board itself.  As I noted, there's nothing obvious that failed.

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
I am not an expert on this machine, but I have replaced a few of the MCU boards and never replaced a motor.
I would order a new MCU from a supplier I suggested And try it out

Offline yawning_dog

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 10:15:39 AM »
I'll see if MCU #3 (#2 from Ebay) fixes the problem first. I'm not all that optimistic... 

If that doesn't work, I think I'll remove the CCU board and see if there's any obvious culprits there.

Offline yawning_dog

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »
Well, for anyone who might care, here's an update.  I got the third board last week (again a crapshoot from Ebay) and it works like a champ.  Or at least it works better than the other two.  I've run four full loads now without a problem, whereas before the farthest I ever got with a load was 4 minutes in. 

So not to be deterred from my original goal, I took the functional MCU out and did a side by side visual comparison with the first (original) board.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  This is also with the heat sink removed.  I also poked around with my ohmmeter to see if there were any obvious opens where there should have been continuity.  I focused primarily on the 6 or so output FETs that are cooled by the massive heat sink.  Again, no issues found and all the caps look and seem to test like caps.  I could have done more continuity checks, but the main FET that supplies the board is actually soldered through the plastic case so I would have had to remove that to separate the board from the carrier... anyway, too much work.

So after all that, I got to thinking that this washer vibrates like a mofo sometimes, and I wonder if all that vibration is so great for the board- namely the solder joints.  So I decided to reflow the board.  Or at least attempt it.  Don't tell my wife.  Anyway, about a minute at 400F in the old toaster oven and I tried it again.  The only difference this time is the cycle is progressing without clothes.  I don't expect that will matter but more testing is needed. 

I know you're all waiting for the money shot... it actually worked.  At least for one full load.  That's 46 minutes longer than it has any other time.  I'm still pretty skeptical but we'll see after a few more loads.  Now I need to go role around in the mud to dirty up some clothes for a real test.  :)

Offline yawning_dog

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 12:19:39 PM »
Three loads later and one diagnostic cycle later and it's still going strong:  no F6 error.  Whoo hooo!