Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WJRE5550K2WW GE Hydrowave not spinning on spin cycle  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ghuey

• VIP Member
WJRE5550K2WW GE Hydrowave not spinning on spin cycle
« on: December 20, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »

I know others have encountered this issue, but unfortunately every solution has been to buy a new washer.

Like topic says the washer seems to run fine until it reaches the Rinse/Spin face at which points it clicks and grinds for about 10 minutes at which point it will start to spin up.  About 5 seconds into the spin up everything just shuts off.  Lights on the control panel turn off and I have tub with soaking wet clothes.

Only clue is that LED error code on the motor is flashing 7 times which I know is supposed to indicate bad lid switch.  I tested the switch with multimeter and continuity seems to be ok so I am leery to waste time on this supposed solution.

Reseting the washer by unplugging and lifting lid 6+ has not made any change.

I really feel like it might be something related to mode shifter which I don't really know what it does and others have mentioned inverter on the motor which is almost as much as the washer.

If anyone has any further troubleshooting tips I would appreciate it.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: WJRE5550K2WW GE Hydrowave not spinning on spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:20:33 PM »
Quote:  I tested the switch with multimeter and continuity seems to be ok.>But does it break continuity when you open the lid?  Some light reading. http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-repair.html Easy way to check lid switch.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:28:11 PM by dab147315 »

Offline ghuey

• VIP Member
Re: WJRE5550K2WW GE Hydrowave not spinning on spin cycle
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
Quote:  I tested the switch with multimeter and continuity seems to be ok.>But does it break continuity when you open the lid?  Some light reading. http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-repair.html Easy way to check lid switch.

Thanks dab, I should have specified but it does break when lid is opened.  In fact I have spent most of the day on that exact site you mentioned.  I just don't trust the error code on the motor, but I guess I could buy a new switch and try.  Cheaper than other part options but need to get clean clothes soon.