Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: How to reattach the PTC Starter Relay  (Read 2963 times)

Offline dmitsios

• VIP Member
How to reattach the PTC Starter Relay
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »

I have a Magic Chef MCBR1010GS I just acquired. The previous owner thinks the starter relay was bad and that is why the refrigerator wasn't working. She removed the starter relay but never replaced it. Thus I have a starter relay but I have no idea how to install it because I never saw the original configuration. The starter relay part number is 6R8MD3. There are three wires hanging near its location a blue, red, and black. There is a white wire attached to the overload. The link to the PTC starter I have is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Chef-6R8.../dp/B004Q3WTDS

Lucky for me the prongs are numbered. Thus what color goes in what number?

Thank you in advance.

Online dab147315

• Technician
Re: How to reattach the PTC Starter Relay
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
This may help.

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
Also found this manual and the cold control part number and fan motor matches yours and there is a wiring diagram but that blue wire seems not to be found on that manual,but still may help you.This is a old unit.But thought i would give you all the information i have. All those parts seem to match up with AppliancePartsPros.com

Offline dmitsios

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:04 PM »
Thank you so much!  So the colored wires were not the same but I was able to figure out what the wires were from the capacitor.  Thus your diagrams really really helped.

I have it plugged in and running I read in the manual to run the refrigerator for 2 hours on max to assure the cabinet is cooled properly before placing food in.  From there I can adjust to med after.  So that is what I'm doing right now. 

I guess my last question is how do I know if the refrigerator is working properly?  It is cooling and running right now for about 10 minutes.  How long do I need to let it run to know it is running properly with no faults?  What faults should I be looking for?

Thank you so much for everything!
Danny

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »
Set it at its normal settings and maybe buy a thermometer for the refrigerator and freezer and you should be looking for zero degrees in freezer or lower and about 38 degrees in refrigerator give or take.Let it run 24 hours put ice trays in freezer and buy sodas or beer and see if its stays in that  temperature range.Remember the first door opening is the most accurate after 24 hours of operation as the thermometer just measure air temperatures and we are most concern about the beer being cold enough and the water in the ice trays frozen.Also you have other things that have to work like this refrigerator going in defrost so don't buy a hell of a lot of food for about a week to see if everything is a go.May what to look for water in the drain pan in a couple days as this would be a good sign that it is defrosting. Good luck. O0

Offline dmitsios

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 11:56:56 PM »
Thank you for all your advise.  I have done what you have said.  I placed an ice tray in the freezer, beers in the refrigerator and I'm going to monitor the temperature.  I will keep track of these items for a week before I donate my current refrigerator.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll re-post in a few days.  Thanks again.

Offline dmitsios

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »
Everything gets cool.  The only thing now is that it seems as if the freezer doesn't stop and frost has developed in the freezer.  I also noticed frost on the thick coming off the compressor.  I unplugged it for 20 minutes and cleared the frost build up.   I checked the seals on the door and they are good.  I opened the panel in the freezer as well and noticed the coils were all frosted.  I cleared this as well.  I'm not sure if the thermostat is bad or the timer or who knows what else.

For now I'm going to manually defrost it.  I have a timer set to unplug the fridge every 12 hours for 20 minutes.

What do you think?

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
Find the timer on the refrigerator and manually turn it to defrost and see if the heater comes on.Ohm out the defrost heater would be another way to narrow what part is bad also your defrost thermostat. I know this is a G.E site but basic apply. http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/defrost-problem.html  Defrost thermostat must be tested while in frost for continuity.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:47:13 AM by dab147315 »

Offline dmitsios

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »
If I turn the timer until the refrigerator appears to turn off (fans, motors etc), shouldn't it come back on its own after a certain amount of time?  I turned the timer until it shut off and the refrigerator never came back on.  Thus I turned it again until it turned on after leaving it alone for 30 minutes.  Now I get clicking noises every few minutes. 

What do you think?

Online dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 06:29:33 PM »
Yes it should come out of defrost by itself. Clicking noise is probably overload on compressor. It should start if everything is ok within minutes of clicking.See what happens.One site i look at says that defrost time is 8 minutes and 16 hours between defrost which is weird. If you blow picture of timer up you can see its a 8 minutes defrost at 16 hours.  http://www.appliancepartspros.com/mcf-defrost-timer-cf2003-56-ap4565266.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:34:56 PM by dab147315 »

4357156 Whirlpool Refrigerator/Freezer Start Relay

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6205
Last post April 05, 2009, 02:30:24 PM
by AJ
12002782 Maytag Refrigerator Overload Start Relay Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Views: 8393
Last post April 07, 2009, 04:21:33 PM
by AJ
8201769 Whirpool Refrigerator Start Relay

Started by AJ

Views: 7782
Last post April 12, 2009, 02:07:00 PM
by AJ
8201786 Whirlpool Refrigerator Compressor Start Relay Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Views: 11797
Last post May 03, 2009, 02:34:17 PM
by AJ
New relay and overload after refrigerator was overheading still need help!!!!!!!

Started by PRM

Replies: 14
Views: 7961
Last post May 12, 2009, 11:12:16 AM
by Repair-man
12002784 Refrigerator Start Relay Overload Repair Kit

Started by AJ

Views: 6793
Last post May 20, 2009, 09:52:30 AM
by AJ