Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE stackable wsxh208a1ww washer will not complete spin cycle, loud noises.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline lbeyer

• VIP Member

I have a 10 or so old stackable, front load, GE washer. Apparently (I'm not the primary user), it started making noise in the spin cycle about a month ago and has gotten steadily louder. Just last night, it refused to spin clothes completely. It will start a spin cycle, maybe complete  10 revolutions while the clanging sound grows louder. And then the spin cycle will abort. But the spin cycle will start over again in 5 seconds or so. Only to repeat the clanging, then aborting the cycle.

Clothes agitate. Water drains. Spin cycle starts, but will not complete and is accompanied by a rhythmic clanging sound.

I believe the washer motor, water pump, and even door latch sensor are operating normally as per above. Transmission?

I'm looking at repairing versus replacing with used refurb for about $200.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • My cuss. A LOT.
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE stackable wsxh208a1ww washer will not complete spin cycle, loud noises.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »
That is a Frigidaire built washer. Most likely, the basket is broken. I would suggest replacng the basket, tub and tub seal. That might cost more than $200....
LowSL2
18+ Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience
Former $ears/a$e tech

Offline lbeyer

• VIP Member
Re: GE stackable wsxh208a1ww washer will not complete spin cycle, loud noises.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 02:47:57 PM »
Thanks Low, yes. I think I will go with the refurb. Sounds daunting and expensive for a 12 year old machine.