Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Ge profile French door fridge/bottom freezer drawer model Pfs22sbsbss acting up  (Read 1609 times)

Offline pgartner

• VIP Member

I have a Ge profile French door fridge/bottom freezer drawer model Pfs22sbsbss sn Ml057418 that is acting up

The main board replaced dec 2010 with part number wr55x10552 because the the temperature were fluctuating. The display was showing between 0f and 30f for the freezer and between 30f and 60f for the fridge for a few days before it finally gave up.

The board swap was simple, none of the thermistor or capacitor directions applied.

Now it is acting up again. The temperature swings up and down and, on occasion, some of the fresh food would freeze. Same symptoms as last time.

i followed Replacing both evaporator fan motor and motherboard on GE SXS Refrigerators http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=9940.0

I measured the voltage across pings j2-2,8 at 13.6vdc, j2-3,4 was at 12.? Vdc. Resistance between j2-3,8 was 800k at the mainboard connector and 1700k at the motor connector

I also tried some of the self-test, now the temperature displays for both are at 60f and I hear some random clicking (relay) I donít hear the compressor or fan running (they were working before I ran the self-test). What did it do?

What do you recommend that I test next?  I feel that the board is a goner.

I see that the main board wr55x10552 was replaced with WR55X10942 and since been replaced with WR01F00173. I also see that my model/sn falls under GEís warranty concession. Do we know if this is still valid? I donít want to be out of pocket to replace a bad board twice..

I still have the factory-original board and sales receipt its replacement (currently in fridge) . Is there a way I can tell what PN they are? There is no obvious PN from what I can tell?

Thanks

Offline pgartner

• VIP Member
I also tried some of the self-test, now the temperature displays for both are at 60f and I hear some random clicking (relay) I donít hear the compressor or fan running (they were working before I ran the self-test). What did it do?

:oops: I shouldn't do troubleshooting late at night after being POed at throwing out a freezer full of food. I did not properly reconnect the j2 connector.  :oops:

the display is now acting as it was before, fan and compressor are running, but the temps are all off

do I have to shell out for another main board?

thanks,

Paul

Offline pgartner

• VIP Member
Here is an update on my situation. Since one of the relay was consistently clicking and every other board/forum is point to a bad board/bad compressor relay or bad compressor. So I went out and got a new board. While I was at the parts store one of the techs waiting for parts told me that I might have to replace the compressor relay also.

I installed the new board, the clicking stopped. But the fridge is not cooling. so I did some more diagnostics

The fan is running, and the compressor gets warm/hot .I tested the compressor:
    I identified the following pins
        Front=start
        Rear=run
        Bottom=common

Rear/run to Front/start resistance 13.2 ohms
        Front/start to Bottom/common resistance 7.6 ohms
        Rear/run to Bottom/common resistance 6.5 ohms
        All 3 to ground (compressor casing) is open (not shorted)

With power on, and the compressor unplugged from the relay and PTC board (??) and got the following voltages
        Rear/run to Front/start 0vac
        Front/start to Bottom/common 115vac
        Rear/run to Bottom/common 122vac

The relay does not rattle, sounds like a wire or coil moving , and across the any of pins is open, not even the 10ohms as I saw mentioned in other posts. Is there any test I can do to find out if this is bad before I spend $90 on a relay?

can the start capacitor be tested?

I also tested the thermistors, all there are in the 5.88k and 6.13k range and the voltage is is 1.46vdc (which I think might be low)

Anything else I can test? Any advice?

Thanks

Paul
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:16:57 PM by pgartner »