Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: LG WD-8015C. Drain issues.  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Jezlink

• VIP Member
LG WD-8015C. Drain issues.
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:36:09 AM »

I'm about done with this unit and I'm ready to throw in the towel and pay a professional.

We have an LG WD-8015C washing machine and for the last six months it's been having problems draining.

I can hear the pump spinning but no water flows. I can fix this by taking the drain hose out of the standpipe and blowing air back up the hose. As I do this I feel brief resistance that gives way and the pump immediately goes to work and drains the machine.

My standing theory has been that there's an air lock forming in the drain pump. To troubleshoot this I've stripped down the drain pump, the drain bellows and the filter assembly, looking for a cause. I've found none.

So this has been frustrating, doing a load of washing necessitates hanging about the machine and waiting for it to attempt to drain (it does this several times on some cycles) clearing the blockage when required.

We may as well wash by hand. I've had enough, the wife's had enough and I'm too stubborn to have someone else try and fix it.

Help please!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:36:35 AM by Jezlink »

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG WD-8015C. Drain issues.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 01:22:26 AM »
How old is the unit and pump

Offline Jezlink

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 01:24:29 AM »
Six years

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
Is the pump louder than normal? Are you sure the pump is moving before you blow on it and not humming?

Offline Maintech

• Technician
  • LNM Service and Repair LLC.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 09:22:27 PM »
I have seen similar issues on other washers. Things I have found coin stuck in a elbow or curve of hose. a piece of flexible plastic stuck in the drain path somewhere. a sock in the outer tub. a small piece of clear hard plastic or glass in the pump. pump has debris around rotor. for all but the last 2 items what would happen is intermintantly the object would move to block flow but not always and if you back pressured the drain hose it would move enough to allow flow for awhile.  the glass or plastic in the pump got behind the pump impellor and would catch but not always.

on one washer the drain hose out of the pump hooked to a 90 degree plastic elbow block a quarter got about half way thru then stuck but would spin in place when flow was just right it would get stuck in a blocking position like a check valve.