Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: A new Problem  (Read 2826 times)

Offline ap91

• VIP Member
A new Problem
« on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:19 PM »

Hello Guys,

i am working on a problem for which I need your help. Here is the problem

There is one ice cream factory deploying a new type of ice cream.

However, this new process requires constant monitoring of the solidification process by a trained technician. This is accomplished by visual observation through a 1⁄4 thick glass porthole with a 1 diameter. The ice cream is formed on the inside surface of the porthole at -5F. Since the glass is in contact with the ice cream its cool surface causes water to condense out of the humid factory air and then freeze to the surface.
The plant owners would like to implement a device that keeps the porthole clear of ice for easy viewing while not introducing a large energy load on the machine. I would like to Prepare a simple description of solution concept. Remember, the internal ice cream process must be visually monitored.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
Re: A new Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Some variation of a Clear view screen as used on boats? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 06:58:40 AM »
Some variation of a Clear view screen as used on boats? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_view_screen

originally developed in the mid-1930s for automobiles

Interesting, learned something new again today.

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
Simple. You need whatthey use on freezer glass doors. They are usually double pane, lack atmosphere in between the panes, and use a warming strip to keep the glass from condensing.

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
haven't tried it against condensation, but what if you sprayed a superhydrophobic coating on it? in theory the moisture wouldn't adhere to the window to freeze...   granted like I said I don't know how well it would work, but you could pick up a can of it for 20$ at walmart... seems like it'd be worth a try...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTkefJHfC0 

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 05:11:10 PM »
you could pick up a can of it for 20$ at walmart

So I search walmart.com for ultra-ever dry being that's what is shown in the video and can't find it.
Then I search Amazon for ultra-ever dry and it seems to be a two part thing, very expensive along with poor reviews.

ultra-ever dry

Could you post a link to the product you are talking about at walmart for $20. Looks like something I may want to play around with someday. :)

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 07:47:07 PM »
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-NeverWet/26910062

sorry, you had to search superhydrophobic spray.

that video was the fastest I could find, I'm not sure if this stuff is better or worse, but it certainly is more affordable..

I keep debating picking some up... was thinking about coating a pair of pants with it, but then realized that might make washing them difficult...

it'd be interesting to coat something like a sock with it, cut the end off, clamp it to a shopvac, then use a large clamp to attach the other end to a drain pump housing to clear a clog... you could pinch through the sock to unscrew the trap while the coating on the sock held all the water in... then turn your vac on to suck it up without having to tip the washer back, or suck it up slowly as you unscrew the trap....

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 02:05:45 PM »
 :thanks: