Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Hydo Washer Field service Mode glwn5050mows  (Read 2739 times)

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
GE Hydo Washer Field service Mode glwn5050mows
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:15:09 PM »

I service units but have not got the pleasure of doing many of these yet. Want to confirm that after you get past step 4 or 5.. codes (field service mode)
that the next ones IE hot water, cold water, pump, spin.. when you get there.. the pump should come on,(forced on). etc.

none of the outputs came on. in this mode.. I suspect bad control board.
Does not have the neutral fuse.
lid switch is good.

I suspect the neutral is lost on the board circuit. Red white neutral from plug is there.(at board) . on pump mode.. black neutral was not there when used with red black,,,,, which had 120 to ground.

can anyone confirm or help.
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
Re: GE Hydo Washer Field service Mode glwn5050mows
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:38:02 PM »
ordered control board installed.. did not work.. then noticed the parts place did not have right board number in box.. they shipped me a another one..  Well it did not work either.

the motor board is not showing any fault lights.. except the normal one flash.. I did the lid switch open and close 6 times still nothing.
found no shorts.. unpluged things and tried the service diagnostics.. nothing no... out puts could be forced on..

has anyone had this happen.. customer did not want new motor and board... has that been what stops diagnostics from turning on drain pump.. water valves... I was stumped...
About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack(diet coke in my case) . The small green square=personal message.

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
What was the original customer complaint?
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:09:36 PM »
Filled with water and stopped.  Can NOT get it to drain.   Move control to drain and spin.. nothing.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 06:52:48 PM »
Check the level switch or the hose going to it. GEs are famous for clogged hoses.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:19:42 PM »
Im trying in my head to see how that could stop.. all the other functions on the board from working.  I unplugged the pressure switch and tried to get diagnostics to start...
but can reason.. think that they may have designed it as a fail safe...
logic:  IF  don't know water level.. kill.. master shut down of all other functions.

I was reviewing a post on a whirlpool front load and someone said if the pressure switch is faulty.. the door lock unlock wont work correct... switch  thinks its full of water..

I may be allowed back in the door.. think I have a spare switch.. .. dont have a print in front of me.. but believe its the neutral that runs through the switch.

now Im thinking out loud.. that switch is complicated.. it senses and sends back a variable type signal..  its not on/off
is that correct... going to look for my own question.. but thanks this might be the answer.

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
found a technical guide. and now understand how the switch works.

if high level switch stuck.. safety shut down.
customer drained water.. but there is probably more than 4 inches in tub.. low switch still made. (actually open) cant time

went with the mini manual test.. but not as educated on these GEs like I should be... download time... :thanks:

I have to call him back
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:09:37 PM by curjones »

Offline curjones

• Technician
  • Service Tech, Owner
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:33:57 PM »
Post update.. customer decided to make a fireplace out of washer drum.. so I did not get to solve or prove my thought.
Will have to get a unit and make the switch high limit send signal to board... then see if it stops all other functions.. including diagnostics mode.

I have the routine of trying to run diagnostics first and check codes.. this unit went into diagnostics.. no codes.. but would not let any outputs come on... Im thinking it like a Emergency e-stop we use to deal with in factories.. the pressure switch High.. shut down all outputs to pump, fill valve, motor...

jumper J1 9 and 10 simulates the event of high level water and then see if it will not let outputs be forces on in service mode.

I will sure make it a point to check it on the next one...