Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Kenmore frontload washer - need ID please. It isn't draining fully.  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Masternewbie

• VIP Member
    • Fin2swim Infant Swimming - Infant Aquatics Lessons in San Diego, New York, & World Wide

Can anybody help me identify the model of this washer? ( photo of it attached )

It isn't draining fully and I was going to try and find a service manual for it to trouble shoot the problem.

Sorry I don't have the model number being the washer isn't in my house right now.

Thanks very much!

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore frontload washer - need ID please. It isn't draining fully.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:23:08 AM »
remove the kick plate the tech sheet should be on the right side and the drain pump should be in the center of the machine behind the kick plate.
First thing is to do is to check the drain catch. Most of the time if it's not fully draining nobody ever emptied the catch and it's full with debri. PUT DOWN A BUNCH OF TOWELS or have a shop vac running when you remove the drain catch

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 10:50:21 AM »
It is a FRIGIDAIRE

Offline Masternewbie

• VIP Member
    • Fin2swim Infant Swimming - Infant Aquatics Lessons in San Diego, New York, & World Wide
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply and help.

I'm going over there to deal with it in a few hours and will report back on the results and also clearly identify the model number and specs.

Offline Masternewbie

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 08:36:34 PM »
I went to do as
remove the kick plate the tech sheet should be on the right side and the drain pump should be in the center of the machine behind the kick plate.
First thing is to do is to check the drain catch. Most of the time if it's not fully draining nobody ever emptied the catch and it's full with debri. PUT DOWN A BUNCH OF TOWELS or have a shop vac running when you remove the drain catch
suggested and I found a bra wire stuck in the rubber tube hose. I didn't' see a drain basket so I took apart all of the hoses and cleaned out the gunk in them. I did take out the tech sheet and I took pictures of it and attached to this post. I didn't see where it showed the model # or maybe I'm blind not able to see it. The label which would have the model # on it was worn out and had nothing on it except worn bar code.

I ran the washer and it drained fine.
The problem was it wasn't spinning when it went into spin cycle. It would do the finish spin which rotates slowly one way and then back the other way a few times before the buzzer went off finishing.

What could be causing this machine to not spin? It makes noise when it is supposed to be in spin cycle but nothing is moving. Could it be the motor is failed and won't hit that cycle?

I attached a few more pics of the motor and labels maybe somebody could identify the model for me and possibly help me figure out why it isn't spinning.

Thanks to everybody!

Offline Masternewbie

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:05:02 PM »
It is a FRIGIDAIRE

Thanks for the tip on this, I was able to determine my washer is this GLTF2940FS or something of the nature.

I see the service manual is this one which shows the same washer -- [Frigidaire 3 cu ft Horizontal Axis Washer (5995413084) Service Manual] --  http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=257

After I get back out there and check to see what codes may have been tripped I will determine which part I may need.
   - I think maybe I might possibly need a door switch.... this one -- Part #AP4455026 http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=3336.msg13064#msg13064
        http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-door-lock-assembly-131763202-ap4455026.html
   - Or possibly hopefully not a control board

Hopefully I can get out there and do the diagnostic process within the next few days. I'm no appliance repair guy but I'm going to figure it out.  :tickedoff:

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »
Check that wax motor and everything else on that switch.  First throw it into test mode.  That will allow high speed spin with bad wax motor if everything else is working :cheers:

Offline Masternewbie

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »
Check that wax motor and everything else on that switch.  First throw it into test mode.  That will allow high speed spin with bad wax motor if everything else is working :cheers:

I did as you guys suggested and it was exactly the door switch that failed. I had my wife go do the test and she did good. When she ran the diagnostic mode everything functioned well and it displayed a error code of 47 which suggested door switch problem. I had my wife go get the part and change it out and she did good except she unplugged the wrong plug and it caused her to get zapped. I guess some of us learn the hard way and now she will double check what is really getting unplugged when unplugging. She put in the new switch, scrubbed the nasty mildew off the boot and put it all back together. She ran a cycle and everything worked.

The wax motor on that switch was failed reading resistance of 4.3k. Everything inside the switch was clean and functional except that wax motor.

Thanks to all of you guys here for the guidance and tips I was able to facilitate to somebody that has never fixed an appliance ever to be able to fix/repair this washer.  Anything is possible.  :cheers: You guys are the best!
THANKS!!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 10:23:47 PM »
 :welcome: