Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Dryer DDG5380BAL - gas leak AFTER replacing gas coil  (Read 10062 times)

Offline artappliancenewbie

• VIP Member
GE Dryer DDG5380BAL - gas leak AFTER replacing gas coil
« on: September 17, 2015, 02:15:29 PM »

Hi All,

I have a VERY old GE dryer that runs absolutely great after probably 30+ years.

Recently the coil went out, and I replaced it with the #WE4X560 coil set, purchased from the local authorized dealer Coast Appliances (Los Angeles).

Since the replacement, everything's working fine EXCEPT for the continuous and minor gas leak. My laundry room develops a gas odor after several hours. It's a very small and slow leak, and my suspicion is that the replacement rubber ring doesn't fit exactly, or the height of the coil may be off by a fraction. The old part and new part look pretty much identical, which makes it all the more puzzling as to why this leak would take place.

I tried loosening and re-tightening all the screws, and the smell went down (even away) for a couple weeks. Now it's back to smelling.

I'm price sensitive and would like to save the potential $250 cost (diagnosis is about $100, and the replacement coil-set costs $130 from major appliance parts sellers - it's very old, like I said).

The gas coil itself is not as user-replaceable as on modern units, the gas valves themselves aren't sheathed or supported by a collar. Later coil sets are a lot simpler to replace.

Can anyone offer any advice? Have you been through something simlar? Or am I doomed to have to call out the tech?

Thanks!
Art

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: GE Dryer DDG5380BAL - gas leak AFTER replacing gas coil
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
Take it apart again and make sure the (o) rings are set properly.WE4X560 [/app]

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »
Are you sure it's leaking gas from there? 30+ Dryer.Do you have a flexible gas line to the back of dryer? Most do, and is that 30 + years old. May want to check that out too.

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
Thanks dab147315!
Yes, 100% sure it's leaking from there. There's a tiny valve inside the dryer immediately prior to the gas coil. When turned off, the gas smell disappears completely.
The gas line is one of those copper/aluminium types, and is recent and intact.
Also note that everything was working fine (no smell or anything) until I replaced the gas coils.

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »
Um soap bubbles anyone?

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 06:49:43 PM »
Hi domain - thanks for the suggestion - however, the area is sort of hard to surround with soap solution (it's vertical and the soap solution would slide down) - also, the leak is so slow that it would likely not easily register visually. The gas "distributor" assembly is fixed to the chassis both in front and rear, so I can't submerge it either.

Even so - I will try to coat with soap solution as a hail-mary pass.

In the meantime, I've doubled up on the o-rings and re-assembled the coils. So far (2 hours in) no smell. It's pointing more and more to minor variation in part size/bore/depth between the original and replacement coil set, thereby allowing gas to escape around the 2 "piston" valves that regulate gas flow. I'll keep at it for now.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:14:39 PM »
You should never double o ring homie. Soap bubbles. If you can smell it,you damn sure can see it bubble

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »
Let us know if this still is leaking.Yeah double (o) rings was not the way to go.Kind of think it was not set right.Change a lot of those and never had that problem.i got this old G.E hand book that has some stuff in it for the washer and dryer if washer is still around. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-i5KqMA2RZwUG8tZGQtblM2X1E/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:08:04 AM by dab147315 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
Art. The right way to install that kit would be to take the whole burner assembly out after shutting the gas off by that cock valve right by the burner so you can put the kit in easier.Comes out in less than 5 minutes after you take out those two 5/16 screws by the burner.And disconnect wire off flame sensor.Did you do that.And thats the right way to attack it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:05:28 PM by dab147315 »

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
dab147315, that handbook is invaluable! I finally understand the mechanics behind the valve, and the gas flow measurements will prove invaluable when I actually have to call a tech in! Thanks again  :)

Agreed about losing the double-o-rings. Was simply trying a basic method to close/slow any possible air gap in that section which I can't reach. But it's still smelling. So - out they go!

My last 4 options, before calling in a tech:
- carefully measure/compare the old and new coil sets, screws, etc to ensure the dimensions are identical.
- try to find out if I ruptured the diaphragm inside the regulator somehow. i was very careful, but it is an open possibility.
- I may anyway try to find a replacement regulator, that may be a good idea in any case.
- walk through the handbook to make sure I have done everything per instruction.

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 03:25:56 PM »
dab147315 - i was already able to replace the coil assembly without needing to touch the gas supply line.

I didn't want to go near the gas part of it as far as possible, as I am not a qualified tech, simply an inquisitive and tight-budget appliance owner. Plus that 5/16 nut looks like it's on tight as heck.

Also, I've taken off and put back the new coil set 3 times now, without touching gas supply. Unfortunately, am getting rather good at it  :-\

It just struck me, I should put back the OLD coil assembly and check for gas smell (without running the dryer of course). It's possible that the replacement coil set is somehow not proper or as specced.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 03:42:26 PM »
Art. The right way to install that kit would be to take the whole burner assembly out after shutting the gas off by that cock valve right by the burner so you can put the kit in easier.Comes out in less than 5 minutes after you take out those two 5/16 screws by the burner.And disconnect wire off flame sensor.Did you do that.And thats the right way to attack it.
This method is what you what to do.About calling a Tech.I don't think it will be worth it as i would do everything in this post as the installing of the kit without taking it out would be a bitch and getting those  o  rings to set ok would not be fun.As of finding the parts you just said they will not be available anymore. Also double o rings could be damage now.I would just keep trying to fix it yourself at this point.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:00:06 PM by dab147315 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 03:47:05 PM »
Keep on trying. O0  Nut that goes to the gas valve is bigger than 5/16 its been awhile since i done one buts its about 3/4 or bigger but comes off very easy. Plus there are those 5/16 screws that come off.Its not that bad at all.Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:56:59 PM by dab147315 »

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »
OK, I will!!

You guys are awesome and give me the motivation to keep going, when I think of throwing in the (soapy) towel :)

I have spent quite a few hours on this old beater. But I am learning so much about how they work, and those lessons are permanent.

Thank you,
Art

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 08:41:19 PM »
I guess I screwed up royally now.

Using the soapy water to try to find gas leak around the coil - it was virtually impossible to do that, as I mentioned the assembly is vertical and the soap solution just slides right down.

But in the process, I think I shorted out the coils.

Now the dryer doesn't turn on, it blows the GCFI switch as soon as I dial up the timer.

I guess either an alcohol bath of the coils and then test for continuity/resistance - or another set of coils at $130 per set :(

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:42:37 PM »
Let it dry completely

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
OK thanks, domain.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
What did u come up with. :popcorn:

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
Sorry for the late response, I had to go out of town for a couple days on work.

The dryer is working again, after the coils dried - YAY!

Smell of gas is still in the air. I had carefully assembled the coils for the 3rd time, seated the o-rings properly, checked that they weren't misshapen after the double-o-ring attempt.... but no luck.

At this point the only conclusion I can reach is that the gas is leaking from the valve regulator itself (as in, something inside it had ripped when I first replaced the coils and screwed the new coils back on), OR that the leak limiter needs to be adjusted, subsequent to the new coils being fitted.

Since the leak is so tiny (it takes a few hours to be noticeable in a little 5x12x9 ft space), and I can hear no hiss nor see any soap bubbles, it seems like it can ONLY be a slow leak from one of these two components.

Fortunately, the service handbook that dab147315 posted shows the manometer readings required to calibrate and balance the air pressure. So if it's a leak limiter adjustment, then it can be done on the spot (with a technician! I don't have a manometer, or experience using one).

The WE14X141 gas valve is not available anywhere, either locally or on ebay. So if it's the regulator, that means a new dryer!

So I think it's time to call first the Gas Co and see if they have a sniffer that can pinpoint the exact source of the leak; then the tech to help close it off - failing either of these possible sources, it's off to the appliance store to get a replacement dryer!!

Thanks
Art

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:18 PM »
may want to call your gas company. THEY MIGHT do a leak test for free. You may not want to mention all the work you have done to the dryer. Just mention the smell of gas in the laundry room. Doesn't hurt to ask