Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Disclosure: This website contains affiliate links, Meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.

Your Privacy Rights

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE Monogram that won't come up to temperature and stay there  (Read 2543 times)

Offline footgeek

• VIP Member
GE Monogram that won't come up to temperature and stay there
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »

Good day

I have an older GE monogram commercial stove, model zdp48n6rd1ss; 6 burner, double oven. I have rebuilt and refurbished most of the stove but am having a problem with the larger over. If the oven is cold, and you don't open the door, it will come up to temp normally. If you open the door while heating, or after it is heated; it intermittently will not heat further. It stays around 300 degrees (or lower). The thermostat slight comes on if you are trying to go higher than 300; if you lower it, it seems to hold the temp there. My wife has a bakery and uses it at 350-425 most of the time. The smaller oven works fine.

I had an issue with overheating last year ( it was the HWR (high temp relay) last year that we were able to troubleshoot and repair the relay with the help of this forum, thankfully) see here: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=16557.0#ixzz3oJ3Ra5Fi

The thermostat was replaced last year (I still have the old one; it probably did not need to be replaced) and replaced the bake element (it probably did not need to be replaced either).

Is it the thermostat that I should be looking at, or is there a problem with the HWR. I am thinking with the HWR, it is either on or off, correct? It seems to be an electromagnet. Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Any direction or help would be appreciated.

I have had this stove apart many times while rebuilding it. I have the wiring diagrams and schematics but am not an electrician.

Thanks in advance

Ivo

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: GE Monogram that won't come up to temperature and stay there
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »
Sounds like to me the relay may be acting up again

Offline footgeek

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Is there anything specific I should look for? Dirty contacts, etc? It seems like a pretty simple mechanical electromagnet/switch. Do you know of anywhere I could find or retrofit a spare? They are no longer made. I thought I read of a person who had retrofit a relay from a thermador one here on the forum.

Thanks in advance

Ivo

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:55:17 AM »
You probably read this post.  http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=12491.msg65593#msg65593
There is some guy selling one on eBay for $650.The G.E part number.Thats kind of up there in price. WB21X5362
Free shipping to.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/WB21X5362-HOT-WIRE-RELAY-BRAND-NEW-SHIPS-FREE-TODAY-/221894337634?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:11:11 AM by dab147315 »

Offline footgeek

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
Thanks

is there anyone who either can build one of these (for my stove of course) or rebuild the old one you can recommend? I am planning on taking apart the stove this weekend to have a closer look

Thanks again in advance

Ivo

Offline footgeek

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 01:18:19 PM »
 Follow up report

At the advice of the tech on this forum, I pulled apart the relay again. The contacts that were corroded on one side were corroded again and they are starting to wear down (ie less "cushion"). The relay is basically an electromagnet. Since one of the contacts on one side were worn, when the call was coming from the thermostat to raise the heat, sometimes only one side was making contact; incomplete circuit, no further heat and the thermostat light stays on. I cleaned them and bent the contacts slightly to bring them closer together and it is working again (for now).

If there is any way to rebuild or replace these contacts since they don't make this Hot Wire Relay anymore and $650 is a lot of money to but one on ebay, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again to the folks on this forum who helped out.

Ivo