Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: GE WHSB8000B0WW Transmission Issue Or Other Problem???  (Read 1613 times)

Offline wjgrange

• VIP Member
GE WHSB8000B0WW Transmission Issue Or Other Problem???
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »

My washer recently became loud when on spin cycle. A few loads later I could smell a burning smell. After a while longer, the tub won't spin at all.

I took off the front panel and ran through the spin cycle test on the diagnostic menu. When doing this, the bottom-most extending nut connected to the  pulley on the bottom of the motor-clutch assembly would spin, but the pulley attached to the clutch would not move and neither would the drive belt.

After unplugging the machine, I attempted to see if I could turn the transmission both ways (as several web sites suggested) by simply pulling the drive belt in either direction. When doing this, I could rotate the transmission one direction, but not the other direction.

As a further test, I loosened the motor and removed the drive belt. With the motor-clutch assembly now uncoupled from the transmission, I ran the spin cycle test again (from the diagnostic menu) to see if the pulley spun when uncoupled from the transmission. The pulley DID spin without a drive belt on it (as opposed to before, when the pulley would not move). While the belt was off the washer, I also attempted to rotate the transmission in both directions. The transmission WOULD ROTATE COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (as viewed from the bottom of the washer looking towards the top), but WOULD NOT ROTATE CLOCKWISE.

My thinking is that it is probably the transmission, but I am not sure because by removing the drive belt, I completely unloaded the clutch, so I'm wondering if the clutch may be the culprit.

Could you please tell me if you're confident I could fix this by replacing the transmission or if you think further diagnosis is recommended. I am an electrician and a degreed mechanical engineer, so I am very confident in my ability to perform any necessary follow-up testing/diagnosis. Please advise.

Thank you!!!

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: GE WHSB8000B0WW Transmission Issue Or Other Problem???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »

If you can freely rotate the transmission by rotating the motor pulley or pulling the belt as in this video, the transmission appears to be fine and looks like you have a faulty clutch on the motor.

this video,

Eric

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
  So, I made another video to show how the transmission works for agitation and spin cycles. I'm just showing the bottom portion of the transmission with pulley removed and using a hole saw (threads fit) to hold the pulley hub on.

Eric

https://youtu.be/BdtN-tZFP_Q
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:47:54 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:27:27 AM »
Great job on the video Eric.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »

Thanks, been meaning to do that for a while now. Simple to show how it works but very hard to explain with no visuals.

Eric

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:59 PM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing!