Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: Maytag gas dryer drum belt  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag gas dryer drum belt
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »

I am probably going to work myself into a more serious problem but am putting this info out for comments. I picked up a Maytag gas dryer model HYG3657AWW-10  for a very low price yesterday that had a squeaky motor bearing. Taking it apart after I verified the squeaky bearing I checked the drum rollers and the idler roller to see what kind of shape they were in and they were OK, a little worn but not bad. the motor bearing was pretty bad so I had an older 1/4 HP motor(as compared to the original 1/3 HP) that I thought would fit and work. I took the squeaky motor out and took the mount collars off the ends and switched them to the 1/4 HP version and installed it. In the process of removing the blower wheel I discovered it was broken at the hub but repairable using JB epoxy---that stuff is pretty darn good ! 12 hours later I put everything back in place and turned it on. The belt was slipping on the drum so I thought I made an installation error. There was no assembly error. I did note that the front slipper guides are apparently different from LH to RH side in that the RH side has a piece of flet as a backup under the plastic slipper plate so I put a piece of felt under the LH side. Back together again. The belt was still slipping on the drum. It would turn a little but not much. Took it apart again and checked the spring tension on the idler pulley which was OK but not as good as I expected it to be. I then found a spring in my junk box similar to the factory spring and installed it alongside in addition to the OEM spring. Reassembled with a lot of difficulty and it runs OK without slipping the belt. I also noted that the drum  has a very slight out of round condition at the front but no sign of damage to have caused it. I am now going to the hardware store to buy a can of silicone spray and apply it to the drum contact areas for less drag.
I also noted that the air flow output on this dryer seems lower than many others such as Whirlpool or GE. There are no leaks in the outlet tube and the blower wheel is not loose on the motor shaft and the motor rpm is 1725 the same as the old one.  ??? Comments are invited

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Re: Maytag gas dryer drum belt
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
I am sorry but just don't get any of this, fixing things with epoxy,installing different motors and using silicone spray.Using a spring in the junk box.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
Yes I was having a senior moment and it did not work. Turns out the motor which fit OK was the opposite rotation. That is why the air flow was reduced so much. I put the old motor back in place and restored things back to the original configurarion . I packed the motor bearing with hi temp grease after flushing them out with WD40  and used a  fiber retainer washer on the shaft to keep the grease in place.  Live and learn---sometimes the hard way. Thanks for your comments. As you can tell I dont throw much away.

Need help on belt replacement for Maytag dryer

Started by phlip2red

Replies: 6
Views: 16169
Last post May 31, 2008, 11:40:09 AM
by AJ
Maytag Performa Dryer Belt

Started by trialnerror

Replies: 6
Views: 11611
Last post June 17, 2008, 04:42:20 PM
by JWWebster