Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer Parts  ·   Dryer Parts  ·   Refrigerator Parts  ·   Dishwasher Parts  ·   Range/Cooktop/Oven Parts  ·   AppliancePartsPros 

Author Topic: LG washing machine very loud during high speed spin cycle  (Read 2451 times)

Offline vortex24

• VIP Member
LG washing machine very loud during high speed spin cycle
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:25:45 PM »

I have read the post regarding the LG WM2050CW washing machine with very loud spin cycle.
We also have a WM2050C* however the noise only occurs when it has reached the highest speed of the spin cycle. It is quiet until it hits High Speed spin.

Would this still indicate it is the bearing? It is 5 1/2 years old with an average of 4 loads a week for two people.

thank you
Fynis

Offline domain

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG washing machine very loud during high speed spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:25:28 PM »
Yes. Jet noise? Yes.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
It's a fun job. You need the tub seal, 4036ER2004A and bearings, 4280FR4048L and 4280FR4048E. The generic bearing numbers are 6305 and 6306, if want to save some money.

Offline Smc0320

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 08:14:20 AM »
We had the same issue. With our almost 3 year old LG front load washer.

I called LG and they offered a $200 "flat fee" service call.  If he came out and could repair it, everything was covered, even if something was no longer covered by the 1-year warranty (like bearings).  I really didn't believe them, so I asked like 15 times to confirm I would pay boing else.  If he couldn't fix it it, I wouldn't have to pay anything.

He had 5 huge boxes shipped to my house....containing a new drum, new bearings, a new motor and some smaller parts.  He was at my house for almost 3 hours and replaced everything.  The repairs would have been $600 with parts and labor, but all I paid was the $200 flat rate service fee, plus tax.  If I had called a local appliance repair man, they likely would have had a slight markup on the parts plus an hourly service fee.  Calling LG is your best bet.

He had to replace the motor (which was the only thing still covered by warranty (10 year)) because when the bearings broke, they dripped oil all over the motor.

Hope this helps.  I was pissed at the possibility of replacing my 2-3 year old washer, and it would not have been with LG.  But they fixed everything for $200.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 08:28:59 AM »
We had the same issue. With our almost 3 year old LG front load washer.

I called LG and they offered a $200 "flat fee" service call.  If he came out and could repair it, everything was covered, even if something was no longer covered by the 1-year warranty (like bearings).  I really didn't believe them, so I asked like 15 times to confirm I would pay boing else.  If he couldn't fix it it, I wouldn't have to pay anything.

He had 5 huge boxes shipped to my house....containing a new drum, new bearings, a new motor and some smaller parts.  He was at my house for almost 3 hours and replaced everything.  The repairs would have been $600 with parts and labor, but all I paid was the $200 flat rate service fee, plus tax.  If I had called a local appliance repair man, they likely would have had a slight markup on the parts plus an hourly service fee.  Calling LG is your best bet.

He had to replace the motor (which was the only thing still covered by warranty (10 year)) because when the bearings broke, they dripped oil all over the motor.

Hope this helps.  I was pissed at the possibility of replacing my 2-3 year old washer, and it would not have been with LG.  But they fixed everything for $200.
Glad to hear you got it fixed. But.....
Do you want to use your machine correctly now? If yes, read on. If no, save for a future repair again and you can stop here.
 O0
Now the question is how are you doing your laundry?
By doing 1/2 loads or less you are breaking the machine.
By mixing unlike fabrics you are breaking the machine.
Need 2/3full of like fabrics. If you are mixing cottons with pollyesters you are damaging the machine. When it goes in to high speed spin the tub goes off balance causing excess wear to the bearing. Keeping like fabrics together the machine can balance correctly.
If you think by doing smaller loads you are not damaging the machine you are wrong. With a low amount of fabric the machine has a harder time balancing the load and in turn putting excess wear on the tub bearing. Need a full load so when the tub starts to spin it can balance better.
I hope the person who did the repair for you covered all of this including proper amount of soap usage.

Offline Smc0320

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 08:39:45 AM »
He did talk to me abut smaller loads.....and breaking the machine, as you said.  Which was news to me.  We wash "scrubs" separately (for some reason) but now understand the damage we could be causing.  Other than that, we mostly do full loads.

We did not talk about mixing fabrics.  I would never do laundry if I had to have full loads!

I've known about the proper soap amount --- about 1 tablespoon --- since we had a repairman out about 8 years ago on our 1st LG washer for an sudsing error code we were getting.  Even though we were using HE detergent, I thought I should be following the load size markers in the detergent bin.  Not so it seems.  So we use very little soap now and never had a problem since.

This LG repairman was great.  Very knowledgable, be friendly, just a nice guy overall.  He really seemed to enjoy his job.

Washing Machine Spin Cycle

Started by clamonte3

Replies: 1
Views: 4106
Last post August 13, 2008, 01:53:32 PM
by Repair-man
Washing Machine jumps around on spin cycle and leaks

Started by Sherri D

Replies: 3
Views: 11036
Last post September 15, 2008, 01:37:03 PM
by Repair-man